Help in identifying worms

ccgkly

Reefing newb
This is my first post so I apologize if something like this has been addressed already, but I only joined today. I have a 55 gallon reef tank that has been set up for about a year with no major issues. My tank sits on a stand in such a way that if I stick my head under the tank I can look up into the sand from below. I noticed some trails in the sand so I took a flashlight and and shined it on the sand from below and I noticed a worm. The worm looks like an earthworm, but thinner. The worm is a pinkish red color and when it sensed the light it moved and I would guess it was about 8 inches or maybe a bit longer. I was unable to take a picture because it moved so quickly I did not have time. Can anyone help identify this from my description. I am pretty sure it is not a bristleworm since it does not have any legs (that I could see). Thank you to anyone who can provide some info.

Go to the Helpful Articles and look for an article labled. worms. this is a long article that will give you the basis to decide if you should be concerned. any worm over 6" is a reason to be concerned. there are many links in the article where you might just find a pic or two and maybe be able to identify the particular worm in your system. without pictures it is not possible to make a reasonable guess other than possible a fire worm or bristle worm. if either you need to get it out of your system. good luck, read the article, and keep us posted. When I took down my last reef we found a 14" fire worm in the sand, so, read and try to identify. if you cant identify, a clean nylon stocking without any coloring or chemicals, a small bit of bait like squid, clam etc put in just before lights out and take it out in morning. any worms feed on it will get caught in the nylon and unable to unhook so you just take um out with the nylon. repeat as needed. good luck. (dont pollute your system with too much bait.)

Back