help me decide!

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
So I have some good news. Hopefully within the next month or two I will be upgrading! Nothing huge, my hubby and I are thinking 57-60 gallons. I found this awesome 57g rimless reef ready tank but I have to check and see if my lfs will special order it for me. But here is my question. We are on a budget and need to do this the cheapest way possible but also still want a quality tank and equip. Is it better to have a sump or be sumpless? I know it based on how you like it to look. I personally like the idea of a sump but the hubby thinks it will be cheaper to go sumpless and just get a HOB skimmer. We have the lighting figured out. We want to use the marineland fixture we already have and we will buy a second one to go with the first to make sure there is full coverage. So I guess I'm just asking should I go with a sump or not? And if you could explain why you would or wouldn't that would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

Well I have a 60 gallon with NO sump and if I had the option to do it over again I would go Reef Ready. My 180 is reef ready. You have more water volume with a sump and also someplace to put a skimmer, heater, etc., out of the way. Also add more rock to the sump for extra bio filtration, or even lite it to have a fuge. The Reef Ready is gonna cost more to begin with. The Reef Ready tank is more expensive and then the cost of the sump and return pump, but like I said if I had it to do over on my 60 I would get a reef ready tank. My :twocents:

When I started with my 37g, I used all HOB equipment. When I first set up my 60gal, I still used HOB equipment but quickly went to a sump.

IMHO, I think a sump is totally worth the extra $$ and time to set up. All you really need is an overflow box (or a tank with a built in overflow), a return pump (I use a mag 5 which has been very reliable and fairly affordable), a tank, which I picked up a 15gal at Petco for pretty cheep, and some plumbing.

There are some big advantages other than just apperances

1 - Added water volume helps keep water stable
2 - Ability to add stuff like Live rock rubbble for added bio filtering
3 - Can create a refuge. Just this week I added some Chaeto and a found a cheep CFL light fixture at Home Depot. For less than 30 bucks, I added a way to help keep phostpates down.
4 - ability to add additional equipement - Phosban/Carbon reactors etc.
5 - Its just cool....:glassesy: I like showing it off when people ask where my "filters are....haha maybe it's aguy thing...

The only equipment in my display are 4 powerheads and my heater, which I keep in my display so I can cool the water in the sump if required with a small fan.

You can make your sump as simple or as complex as you like.

Good Luck

John

Hmm...well I really do want a sump but I want to set this tank up asap bc my bubble tip and making my maxi mini nem very unhappy. But for now we need it to be within our budget so I think for now I will go sumpless and maybe a few months down the road I can convert my old 29g into a sump and just get an overflow box. But for now I soppose its sumpless.

Hmm...well I really do want a sump but I want to set this tank up asap bc my bubble tip and making my maxi mini nem very unhappy. But for now we need it to be within our budget so I think for now I will go sumpless and maybe a few months down the road I can convert my old 29g into a sump and just get an overflow box. But for now I soppose its sumpless.

HAHA, these things are money pits.....

In anycase, HOB will work pefectly as well, but I think in your OP, you mentioned getting a new skimmer? IF that's the case, and you eventually want to place the skimmer in the sump, make sure you get a skimmer that can accomodate both, that way you aren't buying 2 skimmers.....I hate buying equipment twice and have done it many times becasuse of bad decisions and poor planning.

Good Luck.

John

HAHA, these things are money pits.....

In anycase, HOB will work pefectly as well, but I think in your OP, you mentioned getting a new skimmer? IF that's the case, and you eventually want to place the skimmer in the sump, make sure you get a skimmer that can accomodate both, that way you aren't buying 2 skimmers.....I hate buying equipment twice and have done it many times becasuse of bad decisions and poor planning.

Good Luck.

John

Yep sure is a money pit lol. I just don't have the money all at once. What skimmer would you reccommend that can serve as HOB and sump?

Ha, I have the same skimmer, but its only an in sump model. I didn't know they made one for hob. For the money, I thinks its a pretty awesome skimmer but yes, it is huge.
It's cool cause I was able to split my line from the overflow and feed the skimmer direclty from the overflow which means I am not skimmer water twice.

Also check out the aquac remora pro. It's pretty small and works great as hob. I had one when I was using hob skimmer. They sell the remora "urchin" in sump, which basiclly looks like the hob model with some tubing added. You probably could dyi mod the remora pro into an "urchin" model.

Good luck,

John

Hmm that's a bit pricey for me. I was actually looking at the aquac remora. If I were to get that one, the HOB remora...when I do evetually make a sump can I just hang the skimmer on the sump? Would that still work? Sorry if its a silly question, the whole sump thing is a new thing for me. But could it just hang on the side of the sump?

it could hang on the side or if cant hang you can place it on the outside of the sump.. alot of people dont have the room in the sump and just add some additional plumbing to the skimmer to stand it on the outside.. either way it will still work for you .. :D

The only reason you wouldn't be able to hang one on the outside of a sump is if your water level is too low. Like my sump has to be kept about four inches below the top to allow for a back- siphon in case of power outages.

Hmm...looks like I still have some thinking to do. I want to make the right decisions the first time so I'm not kicking myself later on but need it to be cost effective. Most likely going to do the overflow box route so I don't have to spend the money on a drilled tank. I already have the 29g as a sump, just have to contruct the walls or baffles.

Back