help on basic start up?

siejack8484

Reefing newb
ok i am new to saltwater and i have been reading everything i can but i jus dont understand alot of this slatwater talk and its alot to take in all at once. i jus got a new 75g im setting up and need to know what the basic things i need to get it up and running. i have 2 powerheads and a heater. i have other filters but from what i read i think i shouldnt use them for salt water. i no i need sand and alot of live rocks. but can i start with regular sand and a couple of live rocks and base rocks?? and if so how long should it take for the sand and base rocks to become live? sorry for the long post but im ready to start this project but i rather get as much info as i can before i jump in head 1st and rather have a sucess than a failure

Doing research is a great way to start. If you are talking about freshwater filters, or canister filters, you are right, they're not really great for saltwater.
A protein skimmer and lots of live rock is the way to go.
You can start with mostly dry rock and some live rock (seed rock) and dry sand. It takes a couple months for the rock to turn "live".

Welcome to the forum. Slow and easy is the best approach. It is said that nothing happens fast in this hobby except a disaster. Plan everything out and ask a lot of questions. Once you've researched a step then research it some more. Good luck.

No set time limit. Has to do with your levels. Have your water tested after a few weeks or buy the test kit. DON"T RUSH.

so to get it up n started can i jus start with sum live rock, base rock, sand, 2 powerheads n jus add water?? and then later on start getting more stuff like a protien skimmer and so on?

so to get it up n started can i jus start with sum live rock, base rock, sand, 2 powerheads n jus add water?? and then later on start getting more stuff like a protien skimmer and so on?

Hello and welcome! Yes, you can start the tank now and add more stuff and equipment later on down the road. You will want a heater to start with too.

Step 1. Ask before doing anything. You aren't going to be flames for any noobish questions.

: )

Can I use table salt for a saltwater setup??

Anyways, just use Live Rock/Sand and get yourself a skimmer. Most people prefer to use Reef Octopus as I hear they work really well to get the job done.

You don't have to have a "LOT" of live rock. If you wanted to spend less money, you can get some live rock and then some dry rock. The dry rock would eventually become seeded with beneficial bacteria and eventually turn live.

Welcome to the site!

Yeah listen to these people.

I too went slow. It took me like 2 months and I still can't add fish. I mean a little had to do with my own slowness and a vacation but take your time.

It will speed up once you have stuff in there and you are worried about this and that. Trust me I know from experience over the last 2 weeks putting in my rock and sand.

This is the place to ask it up.

ive heard not to use tap water to mix with the salt but would it be ok to fill my tank with tap water n use stress coat? n then after that sits for awhile add the salt mixture then add my sand and rocks?

Listen up!

Go to the store and get RO/DI from one of those machines.

Get or find as many big 3 or 5 gallon jugs for drinking water and do it.

I have never used tap but have only heard it is a bad idea.

I made 7 trips to the local Publix to use their machine and I then bought an RO/DI machine for $290 shipped which included replacement filters for the whole unit.

What are you planning to keep?
That would be okay for low light corals like mushrooms but if you want to keep anything else it wouldn't be enough.
You should aim for a minimum of 6 watts/gallon as a basic rule of thumb.

More than that try like $350 to $850 depending on your choice and even $350 may not be enough. I thought it was 4 watts per gallon but I am not 100% so....

To keep everything you should aim for 6 watts. Anemones and sps need more light than softs and lps. So if you want to keep anything you want, you should get at least 6.

And lighting is probably the most expensive part of the setup. Check out Craigs List and ebay.

Back