Help please!

How difficult will it be to resolve this situation?

• Total voters
That salinity is really high.... did you get calibration fluid with the refractometer and calibrate it before using it to test?

I noticed a couple things. A nasty scum on the water means you have no surface agitation. You need to adjust your powerheads, return lines so you get that surface flowing. Also, so did not mention equipment, ie powerheads, sump, or canister filter. How much live rock do you have? I am guessing, just by the "scum on surface" reference that you are not getting proper gas exchange/oxygenation of your water.

Sorry, just read page 2. Pull out the bioballs and replace with liverock rubble. Add another powerhead to get more circulation. You have to get the surface aggitated to move the scum through the chambers and into the skimmer.

Hi there, all that info is in earlier posts along with various replys which I guess will bring you up to speed with where we have got to!

I agree regarding salinity, we topped up evaporated water with unsalted RO today which brought it down to 1,035. We are just getting 15% water replacement ready to go in tomorrow, and was wondering how low on salinity we should go to reduce the overall tank salinity to the correct level... To be clear though my question is not about the calculations to get the salinity to the correct level - I can work that out myself, I'm more interested if we should get the salinity back to normal ASAP or do it gently over time so there is not too much of a shock for the tank dwellers??
What do you think??

You should get your salinity down gradually over time. And you should always top-off with RO... the salt doesn't evaporate, only the water does.

1.025 has always done wonders for me.

Like Erin says, bring it down gradually. Mix you new water to 1.022-1 024 and do hour change.

That being said, you have numerous issues that I was addressing as well.

Always top off with freshwater.
Always do water changes with saltwater.

If you have been topping off with saltwater, that will explain why your salinity is so (dangerously) high.

I'm not sure if you already have, but you should really try to re-locate your coral and fish in a place where they can recover while you rectify the problems with the tank.

I'm sure a LFS near you would help you out.

+1 on bringing the salinity down slowly. Try not to bring it down any faster than .001 per day. And I actually disagree on rehoming your fish right now - if they've been living in salinity that high, then moving them to a tank with normal salinity will shock them, it's too big of a change too quickly. I think your salinity climbed over time if you were topping off with saltwater, so bring it back down slowly as well.

You're getting good info, head...but side note to civicdemon...are all the ???'s and !!!'s necessary? Makes you sound hotheaded :P

Keep at it, head...tell your daughter not to be discouraged. It's par for the course in this hobby. If we all quit with our tank fails, we wouldn't be in this forum still in the hobby LOL

Yes very Necesery LOL !!!!!

As I guess everyone would expect, besides this forum I visited a very large fish and marine aquarium in Henlow (UK) at the weekend and had a very good chat with one

Yes very Necesery LOL !!!!!

see??? hothead !!! but with the lol it is just a nice hearty laugh ;)

head, just keep in mind that the lfs, no matter how large or small, is still a business in the end. Always do your own research outside of the store. Had I done that, I would have saved myself lots of money LOL Even just basic knowledge will be enough to spot a money ploy. (Totally wish I hadn't bought that miracle mud for $60 LOL )

Attempt 2:
As I guess everyone would expect, besides this forum I visited a large fish and marine aquarium supplier in Henlow (UK) at the weekend and had a very good chat with one of the chaps who builds, stocks and maintains their own display tanks. (and who incidentally sold us ours) Based on the various input from the forum and this supplier, I have listed below the actions we are taking and why:

1. The salinity seems to be the main immediate issue - we brought it down over the weekend by simply topping up with RO, today will see a 15% water change which will take us further along the path to gently getting the salinity back to normal.
2. Adjusting the water pumps seems to have helped with the surface scum, that along with an adjustment to the skimmer. The surface water and the water in general now look very clear.
3. The carbon filter has been in since day 1 (6 months or so), it gets changed today and every 6-8 weeks thereafter.
4. Clean up crew: have been advised to wait until the salinity is back in a normal region as the shock may kill any new snails we put in now.

OK - here's where it seems to be a bit controversial given some of the comments on the forum... Whilst at the aquarium centre in Henlow, the chap above who builds/maintains the tanks said the following about the anemone and lighting.

* The lighting we have in our little tank is (he says) entirely adiquate and in fact optimal for it's size, he said it was the same intensity lighting they used in all their DT's and showed us under the lids of the various display tanks that had an enviable array of coral, anemone and fish. (I note wontonflip's comments but the guy was actively dissuading me from buying the extra brighter lights and saying to stick with what I've got - IMHO he's either straight-up or a pretty rubbish salesman! :-))
* If the Anemone is in a weakened state - which I guess it is, moving it to a different tank with different parameters will almost certainly stress it even more, better he felt to leave it where it is, get the tank salinity and water quality back to normal and it will hopefully recover.

Obviously we are still very new to this, but the above seems a pragmatic first few steps based on what I've seen, but I'd welcome any more observations particularly if anyone feels we have missed the point somewhere!! (sorry for the !!'s seems like it's a bit of a secret language with you all :-))
Rgds - Tom - Head_stock

Last edited:
Back