Help setting up new tank

Well my 50 gallon tank is doing great, but I have a couple of guys in there that will start eating everyone else if I don't get them into a different tank in about 6 months. So I got the new tank (250 gallon) but have no idea where to start with this project or what equipment to use. I'm getting ready to send the base and canopy out to get a face lift. While that is getting done I need to get all the holes drilled into the tank and have the tank color sanded and buffed and get the overflow box installed. I have all of my rock already and I'm starting to collect all of the sand now. I have a wet/ dry sump, but don't really have any idea of how it works or what I need to connect to it. What size and brand return pump should I use? What size and brand power heads? I would like power heads with magnets but my glass is 3/4" thick. What other stuff will I need for this tank? It is going to be a fish only predator tank. Thanks in advance for your help and comments.

Last edited:
Just for future reference, its a lot easier if you break up your questions. Its very hard to read a block of text and figure out what all of your questions are, but I will do my best.

I would go to a glass shop and ask them to drill the tank for you. Or you can go on youtube and there are lots of videos showing how its done.

I dont know how to install a reef ready overflow box, if you have pictures of your equipment I might be able to be more hlep.

The wet/dry sump will connect to your tank via plumbing from the over flow box and then you need a return pump to pump the water back up to the tank. What size pump depends on how much water you need to move down to the sump, and I really dont know much about good brands for large pumps.

I think koralia makes powerheads with magnets that are strong enough for your thickness of glass, but the other brand I would look at are the vortec brand.

I think you are good on equipment and stuff, just add fish and water!

Just for future reference, its a lot easier if you break up your questions. Its very hard to read a block of text and figure out what all of your questions are, but I will do my best.

I would go to a glass shop and ask them to drill the tank for you. Or you can go on youtube and there are lots of videos showing how its done.

I dont know how to install a reef ready overflow box, if you have pictures of your equipment I might be able to be more hlep.

The wet/dry sump will connect to your tank via plumbing from the over flow box and then you need a return pump to pump the water back up to the tank. What size pump depends on how much water you need to move down to the sump, and I really dont know much about good brands for large pumps.

I think koralia makes powerheads with magnets that are strong enough for your thickness of glass, but the other brand I would look at are the vortec brand.

I think you are good on equipment and stuff, just add fish and water!

Thanks for your comments and sorry for all the questions. I guess I really need to do a lot more homework before I start buying stuff for this tank.

On my 240 tank, I used an Eheim 1262 as my return pump. It's been going strong for 8 years now.

Ok I'll check on that pump. What kind of power heads are you running? How many times per hour are you turning over the tank?

In a 250 gallon tank, you will need more like 6, I think. I used 6 on my 240. If you only run a couple, you will have dead spots.

Back