Help/Suggestions for Saltwater Aquarium

zagitazz

Reefing newb
Hi guys,

I've always wanted to set up a saltwater aquarium and I just started making a basic list for some of the things I need. Here's some relevant info on what I want to do with my set up and how much I have to spend.

I do want to get "some" plants and I hear that the LED light (see below list) I'm getting will help to grow "some" plants. Does anyone have experience with that LED that could attest to the plant growth mentioned in some Amazon reviews? Is it worth it to get LED? I mean, does it translate to any significant monthly dollar savings as far as energy and bulb replacement that would justify it? I might change to something T5 that can grow coral/plants and I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Do I need a skimmer based on what I plan to do with my tank? Everything adds up quick, but if everyone strongly recommends that I get one and can convince me that it will be a huge pain otherwise: I will bite the bullet. I'm at about $540 and my limit that I originally set for $650 withouth fish and plants. Here's my list of stuff I need so far and it obviously excludes the fish/plants; just the start up stuff:

1. 36 X 18 X 25 Tall 70 Gallon Rectangular Glass Aquarium Tank
  2. Marineland ML Double Bright LED Light, 36-Inch to 48-Inch
  3. Marineland Penguin Power Filter 350gph
  4. ViaAqua 300-Watt Quartz Glass Submersible Heater with Built-In Thermostat
  5. Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Reef Sand 20 lb (buying 2 bags)
  6. Oceanic 81050 Natural Sea Salt Mix, 200-Gallon Bucket
  7. Seachem Prime 250ml
  8. Instant Ocean Aquarium Hydrometer
Anything else that I'll need?
Any suggestions for what I should/shouldn't get?

PS: I haven't actually bought anything yet, this is all just a list right now and I'm budgeting everything.

Thanks for the help,
Dan

Last edited:
I would strongly suggest you use a sump and live rock for your filtration. A refugium in the sump is a great bonus. For the most part power filters are not the way to go for your main filtration. I use power filters for extra flow and for running carbon but they need to be cleaned weekly and do not use any of the bio stuff in it. Bio wheels and bio mats etc will just cause problems later. Good flow, live rock and a sump with a refugium with a skimmer is the best method in my opinion. Click on my build link on my signature it will show you the basics. There are many options as far as how and where to spend your money. I know you mentioned a budget, I had one as well. I went with Chinese built knock off equipment and have been very happy with it. However some people havent been so lucky..Any questions feel free to ask.

Hi! Welcome to the forum. I'm new, too and I've been doing a lot of research on different things. I'm trying to pick out lighting as well. I'm pretty sure that the Marineland reef capable would be a better choice for a marine aquarium than the double bright one but, if your doing freshwater then the double bright will grow plants. I will let others give you the best advice. Good luck with your new aquarium(s)!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! A few things to think about: One great investment is an RODI unit for filtering your tap water. Alternatives are hauling filtered water from Walmart or your fish store or using tap which can sometimes lead to algae issues.
Another thing is a refractometer for measuring your salinity. A hydrometer can be surprisingly inaccurate.
Research is your best friend in this hobby.
I wish you luck on your tank!

Forgot to mention, yes, a skimmer is pretty much a necessity in a bigger tank.

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you aboard. Another suggestion would be to check you local craigslist.com for deals of people getting out the hobby or upgrading/downgrading equipment.

I would strongly suggest you use a sump and live rock for your filtration. A refugium in the sump is a great bonus. For the most part power filters are not the way to go for your main filtration. I use power filters for extra flow and for running carbon but they need to be cleaned weekly and do not use any of the bio stuff in it. Bio wheels and bio mats etc will just cause problems later. Good flow, live rock and a sump with a refugium with a skimmer is the best method in my opinion. Click on my build link on my signature it will show you the basics. There are many options as far as how and where to spend your money. I know you mentioned a budget, I had one as well. I went with Chinese built knock off equipment and have been very happy with it. However some people havent been so lucky..Any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for the help. I'll take a look at your link today...sounds like I'll just have to increase my budget to do it right.

Anytime, we are all here to help. There are as many ways to keep a reef tank as there are people. It is all a matter of how much time you want to spend daily working on your tank. Take what you learn from here, the lfs and what ever sources you can and come up with the formula that works for you. :D

I would sugguest finding a copy of The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner. Give it a good read before buying any equipment

Back