Help with DIY Sump/Refugium

halostar9

Reefing newb
Hello everyone,

I am a newbie to this hobby. However, I am trying to ready myself for setting up a 72 gallon bow front for future marine reef use. I have been reading up on sumps/refugiums and their benefits. I want to build my own as it looks much simpler than buying one at an expensive price.

Any information you can give would be much appreciated. I am trying to find information regarding what size of aquarium I should buy to convert to a sump/refugium unit, suggested DIY plans and drawings you all can offer, and what should be used to fix acrylic pieces into place inside the aquarium. Seriously, any advice and information you can give me regarding sumps/refugium would be great! :sfish:

Thanks!

It's easy.

Go with the biggest size that you can fit in your stand. The more water volume your sump holds, the more efficient it will be. For the acrylic baffles, use 100% silicone, you can find it at any home improvement store. Be sure not to use one that has anti-microbial additives.

Lots of people have good plans drawn up, I'm sure someone will post theirs shortly.

Back