Help with filter upgrade

MoeDDS

Reefing newb
I have a new 75 gallon gallon tank with an Aquaclear 110 filter and a prozm protein skimmer. Currently the tank has a small amount of live rock and 3 fish. I bought my setup from what I thought was a reputable store, but having talked to others enthusiasts and another FS it has come to my attention that the filter I was sold can not meet the demands of the tank. My plan is to stock the tank with live rock to meet the 1-1.5lb/gallon requirement and then upgrade the filter systemand the lighting. At first I will have fish only, but eventually plan to transition to a reef tank once I am sure the tank is stable. Any advice on a filter/lighting system?

your going to want a filter that can mover 750 gph, as for your lighting if all your going to do at the moment is a fowlr (fish only with live rock ) then you can use the lights that came with it otherwise my recomendations for softies 4 wpg (watts per gal) for stonies 8 wpg. hope this helps.

If you plan on keeping corals/anemones, you have three choices for lights, PCs, T5s or Metal Halides. All have pros and cons, I have T5s and like them.

As for a filtration system, I'd recommend getting a good protein skimmer and sticking with that. If you have a good skimmer, you really don't need any other kind (including trickle, power, canister, etc...). The Prizm isn't that great and it's fine for what you have now, but if you add more livestock to your tank then you will definitely have to upgrade. If you have a sump, you have a lot of options for in-sump skimmers. If you want it to hang on the back of your tank, then you definitely need to go with the Aqua C Remora Pro.

I think this forum is really useful for tossing around ideas regarding equipment and animals. Before I buy anything new I ask about it on here, there are people with a lot of experience that have a lot of knowledge about what to buy and what not to buy.

Back