Help with fixing a pump??

Stupidsreef

Reefing newb
I ask this over at RC, but I doubt I get much help there, so I thought I'd try here.

A friend has a HammerHead return pump that run's his 180 RR. it's 2 years old. He noticed today when he shut it off to feed it wouldn't turn back on. So Myself and another reefer went over to help fix it. And we need help :frustrat:

Ok we removed the front of the pump to see if something was blocking it. It was clear, so we cleaned it all up replace it, and removed the rear fan cover. This was unrealisticly dirty. I mean :shock: dity. So we cleaned the cover and fan and the area all around it. Then put the pump back together and rehooked it back up to the system, and it just hummed like before. So we repeted the steps again hoping to find something we missed, fired the pump up and still just humming. Then we removed the fan cover turned on the pump and by hand ( like with a box fan ) spun the fan blade. It took off and pumped water like it should.

So to make sure it was working right we tested it by shutting it off to see if it would come back on, we had to spin the fan again. It won't start on it's own. We even shot the fan area and the rod in the open area from the main housing to the pump housing with WD40, in hope's maybe dirt had got pass the motor casing. Nothing seemed to work though. The motor is a Balldoor motor, they should last around 15 years. We left with it hooked up and running. But if he shut's it off, It won't start back up again.

Does anyone here know anything about these pumps?? Or have any Idea's that might help??

Thank you in Advance.
Stu.

Ok, well I don't know how many folks here use the big Reeflo pumps. But that's what the Hammerhead pump is, And Reeflo you can find them all over. My buddy called Reeflo themselves and explain the issue's. I thought I let everyone here know the answer. In case you have one of these pumps as I do.

Reeflo's responce:

That pump should not have any issue's with it at all. It should last you 15 years. But we understand nothing is perfect. Please send us the serial number off that pump.

So he sent it to them. Here is there responce:

Thank you very much. We will be shipping a new pump today, please allow 3 to 7 days through UPS for it to arrive. Please send the old pump back to us for inspection and repair. If you contact us will we have the return shipping covered so there is no cost to you. As long as you return the old pump back there will be no charges to you at all. If you choose to keep the new pump and the old pump then we will bill you for the new pump and shipping cost. Again thank you for choosing our pump.

All he did was ask them what they thought might be wrong with it & if they could help him repair it. He never ask for a new pump just for advise on fixing his. They have already sent him an e-mail with the UPS tracking number. He sent the first e-mail early this morning and they responded within 15 mintues. Oh and we did NOT buy our pumps from them either, they just make them. We bought them from an on-line dealer. Talk about service, this is just Award-Winning-OUTSTANDING!!

Stu,Does that pump have a start capacator(sp?)?
If so,then thats probably the problem.Either that or the brushes.

Back