Help with my torch...

bigploch

Fan of Water
I have a torch coral that is not looking so good. A few of the heads don't even come out anymore. It suffered a rock collapse and being moved around a bit and a lighting change all in a few weeks. ANy products reccommended or methods of treatment suggested? All levels as low as they should be. Help please.

The fall may have pinched the fleshy part.
Try giving it about a 20 to 30 minute soak in lugols iodine and hope for the best.

Where would I get that? I am trying to find it local not online. LFS?

And how much solution vs water do I use?

Last edited:
Your LFS should carry it.There are several different brands,but their all basically the same.
I usually just take about a 1/2 gallon of water out of my tank and add 20 drops to it.Stir it good.Then place the torch into the solution and give it 20 to 30 minutes,then place it back in your tank.

I had a torch for a really long time, but then my clowns started messing around in it all the time. A couple of the heads died off (it started with about 12), but I found that no matter what I did after that point, it just continued to go downhill. I think they are really easy to keep until something hurts them. After that, it's a dice roll whether or not they'll come back.

Yup Biff that seems to be the case here. Too bad. It was once as big as a softball. I've got a frogspawn right next to it doing great and a bubble coral. Both seem fine.

Torches as well as frogspawn and hammer can be sensative to tissue damage. Any of the several things you posted that have changed could have stressed it, You can do as yote posted and find some type of coral dip, in my experience time and patience is the best solution. I would make sure it isnt getting alot of flow blowing against the tissue. If you do move it dont touch the tissue, try and only handle the old skeloton. If you increased the light output try shading it and slowly bringing the coral into full light again over time. There isnt in my opinion alot you can do, and trying to many things to save it is usually more stressful than just finding a good spot for it and leaving it alone to heal. If the dieing heads start getting a brown jelly like coating over them you can blow it off, but that is usually the last stage before it dies. Good luck and let us know how it goes

Back