help with noob lighting!!!! pleaseeee

CurtisL

Reefing newb
hey everyone i recently bought a 90 gallon reef ready tank it came with a sump and these lights, all the plumbing, and some pumps and a hob skimmer. all for 80 bucks! question i have is will these lights work? they need two bulbs but if they will work ill buy the new bulbs! i wants a reef tank with mostly just zoas, and a few other corals. thanks for the input!

ps... they have two acitnic and two 10k lights

2206a903.jpg

Last edited:
What you have is PC lighting, it will be fine for keeping zoas and soft corals. If it was me, I'd set it up and start her up. Then start saving and looking for a T5 fixture. You'll get better lighting and be able to add more in the way of LPS later should you want to do that.

PC lighting does work for most soft corals. But if you are going to replace the bulbs I would spend that money on a new fixture. TEK from Sunlight supply has some nice T-5 lights.

Thanks for the responses I found the bulbs for like twenty six bucks so I will probably just do that for now and get everything going.

Thanks for the responses I found the bulbs for like twenty six bucks so I will probably just do that for now and get everything going.

$26 for 4 bulbs? Thats really cheap for bulbs, prob not very good. Im running 4 - 48" T5's on my 90 gal (with all giesemann bulbs) with a few LPS corals (lifted high) and they are not doing good, you may have slightly better luck with the softies but I really think you should at least take a look at an Odyssea 48" T5/MH fixtures. Pretty sure Ive seen some on ebay for $200-250 with like 500 Watts total. Unfortunately, thats next to no $ for the cost of this hobby generally...

Back