Help with Protein Skimmer

AlwaysImproving

Reefing newb
Just recently I noticed my HOB Sea Prizm Protein SKimmer hasn't been working right. The bubbles that come through the top into the "nasty part" (supposed to collect all the foam) hasn't been flowing. Instead, all my dirty water keeps getting dumped back into the tank by the overflow. When I adjust the lever to increase/decrease the skimmer just more and more dirty crap flows back into the tank by the overflow. What is going on?

Have you taken it all apart and cleaned it good and then reassembled it? Sounds stupid I know, but sometimes that does the trick when an unknown problem occurs.

Are you positive the water is dirty, and has floating debris the protein skimmer would remove? How long has the skimmer been running on the tank? Continuously? My best guess, and not to sound like an @$$ since I am not familiar with that model, is that maybe the actually "wind tunnel" where the bubbles collect to go to the deposit tray is not seated properly, meaning that to much water is entering. So instead of building foam like it should and then collecting in the deposit chamber, there is not enough air being let in or to much water getting in. So the foam doesn't deposit and the large amount of water pushes into the overflow along with everything else. I could be completely wrong. =D

Give it a good cleaning.Pay special attention to the air intake and make sure thats completely opened.
If that dont work,then replace it asap.

Back