Help with refractometer

lilyicu

FOWLR
I feel like an idiot asking this question, but I am having trouble figuring out my refractometer. I can see it, I have calibrated it, but I am thrown off by the numbers. I am used to reading SG and seeing 1.026 but now I am looking at salinity readings and my refractometer goes to 30. I figured when I bought it one side would read salinity and one side would read SG. Can anyone help me??? What number should I be looking for as my magic number??? My tank is running around 1.026. :frustrat:

Thanks in advance

ok one side is ppt and the other side is the SG at 1.026 the other side should say 35ppt that is the higest you want it to go.

No, mine only has solid numbers on it. It goes to 28. I checked my tank water, my hydrometer says 1.026 - 1.027. The refractometer says 4 :shock:

What am I supposed to do with that information??? it means nothing to me.

I assumed that it would come with two columns of numbers and it doesn't. It says salinity up to 28%. My numbers only go to 28.......:frustrat: AAAHHHH I don't understand.

I bought this one off of ebay. It is the same item and same item description. It specifically states a triple scale to measure SG. But I only have one set of numbers that I assume are the % since they only go to 28. This sucks......

Email the seller and see if they can resolve the issue. Obviously, if it is miss represented in their description, they should either accept a return or exchange it for you.

What you could try to do is get a bottle of calibration fluid that is at 35ppt and see where that ends up on your meter. Then you know where it needs to be for your tank water.

Brian

I have emailed the seller. they sell many different refractometers, juice and bees(?). I am hoping that this is just the wrong one. Thanks for helping me. I thought I just was not smarter than the refractometer :)

Dont feel bad, I am dealing with a refractometer problem also. My calibration screw is stuck... right out of the box. I just emailed the 2 Docs with the order number since it was a Christmas present. So hopefully, it will be resolved soon.

Back