Help With Sump

JBowden

Reefin' Housewife
Ok, I know there are a million threads on this...but none of them are really answering my questions.

I will be using a 55 gallon (4ft long) for my sump for my new 180.

I'm making it like this:

[Skimmer][Fuge][Return]

I was thinking of having my bubble trap in between the Skimmer and Fuge...or should it be somewhere else? My heaters will go in with the skimmer.

Do I need a sock to put on the in-let line? Or is that just personal preferance?

In my fuge, I was going to put sand in... should I use regular Aragonite or should I get some of that Refugium mud? I am going to grow the good algae and maybe some other beneficial things in there.

Thanks for all the help! I just want to know that what I'm doing is going to work before I do it.

The bubble trap right after the skimmer will work. If you're using more than one heater, I would place one with the skimmer and the other in the return section. You shouldn't need a sock over the inlet, just make sure that the inlet goes below the water level so it doesn't create more bubbles. I can't help with your substrate question but, when I made my refugium I went with regular sand just because it seemed easier.

Back