Help with sunsun powerhead

Nickoz1

Reefing newb
So im new to this forum!!! Hi all!!!!
Anyways, im having issue with my new powerhead. So i just received it, and the issue is....its not producing water movement, or anything. Seems to be in reverse. I put it in water and it stops moving till i tap it. Then it just viberates with no movement. Am i doing something wrong here?? I read online that the power could be backwards and to change it around in outlet, but still nothing. Hopeing someone can help. :( thanks in advance

howdy and welcome to the site.. :D
My koralias do it from time to time usually just unplugging once or twice will solve it but I agree if it doesnt work return it...

sooo i got in contact with selller on ebay... Never AGAIN! LOL... anyways... i live in canda first of all... this powerhead is 110V.... would this be reason? seller told me i need converter... even though it plugs in my house..has normal metal pins or whatever you call them. i work at bestbuy so im thinkin of buying one for cheap and trying it. thing is , its not like it doesnt turn on, it does... just seems once it hits water there not enough power... and seems to me its in reverse...toook it apart n all.... also let me tell yah... i bought 2 from selller... and both same issue. what are the odds...

hahah sorry for all thee post here. this is what ebay site says...

-
Voltage: 220-240V(Not suitable for USA 110V electricity supply.
(You need to buy a VOLTAGE CONVERTER 110V TO 220V TRANSFORMER).

this is what selller wrote to me...

Hi,
Voltage: 220-240V(Not suitable for USA 110V electricity supply.
(You need to buy a VOLTAGE CONVERTER 110V TO 220V TRANSFORMER).
anything just feel free to contact us, thx

sorry if im dummie for this. lol... kinda new at this stuff.

Can you link to the actual ebay listing?

I am not familiar with Canadian power, do you run on 110v or 220v? If you run on 220v, according to what you posted, you should not need a converter. If you run on 110v, you will need a converter. If he sold you a 110v powerhead but advertised it as a 220v, contact ebay and paypal and let them know that you received a product that was not what was listed.

with converters... is it the same oulet pins? lie the one he gave me plugs in at my house no problem... looks same to devices i use... would the converter be same... but just convert voltage? i checked some voltage converters online... and bestbuy for example... and they look like europe plugs and all... but i could be missing something.

Doesn't sound like it's worth the hassle of having another piece of equipment just to run a powerhead, when 110v powerheads abound. How much did you spend, and why didn't you just pick up some koralias or maxi jets?

I'm thinking in Canada you're running 120v, however, this is a 220 volt pump. This means for it to work you will need a step up transformer that's 120 to 220. This is something you should only mess with if you're aware of how electricity works, unless you have a simple pulg in the socket with a socket on it. The add was srtaight forward so I think a return would be hard if you could get one at all.

Nickoz prrbably bought it cause they are good looking powerheads, and if you're new to the hobby and don't know the good products from the bad you'd probably buy one to. Just a thought.

Bobby Deffently right. I dont know name brands. And why did i get it there and not local is because there isnt many local saltwater stores around me, and the ones that are are crazy money and bad service. No Prices and they always have different prices. Always different price with associates . Anyways, i kight grab converter. I work at bestbuy, so on discount might get it for few $ . They had a few of 20$ ones. Try them if not ill return ii if it doesnt work. Ill find out tomorrow

Nick, just get rid of these pieces of junk. I had these initially, then added in some Marinelands. I bought the sunsuns from ebay too; they looked kinda like koralias and I got fooled. The suction cups lose suction after about 2 months, and the propeller is iffy on start up anyway. Plus they vibrate your glass REEEEEEEAAAAALLLLLY bad. Just chock it up to a learning experience, and order some koralias from MarineDepot.com . Trust me, it's worth losing the money on the sunsuns just to get rid of them. They will let loose, and they will blow your sand everywhere, and they will crash your tank.

ok thanks guys i reallly appreciate it. ill be sening these bac for a refund today if possible. anyone know how much floow or size i should use for a 30 gallon?

The generally accepted rule of thumb is 40 x your tank volume/hour. So for your tank, probably a total of 1200 gph. This can vary depending on tank dimensions and shape, individual set-ups, and what sort of livestock you are planning on keeping. For instance, 40x in a seahorse tank would have the ponies plastered against the walls, but if you're wanting to keep SPS, then you need at least that. Check out the Koralia nanos. Find two or three smaller ones that would add up to about 1200 goh, give or take a few gallons. Two or three will allow you to position them in different areas of the tank to avoid dead spots and provide more random flow than just one powerhead.

Back