Help?????

DesoShade

I'm a noooooob
Okay. I bought a pound of live rock today to get my tank started. Here's my situation. I bought the rock. My tank has water in it, but it's not mixed with salt and it's not heated yet. Is it okay to put my live rock in there since my water isn't mixed or heated yet? Or should I put my live rock in a bucket with a small bucket for now?

Ok. I just mixed a bucket with half cup of salt to a gallon of water and placed my small heater from my old 10 gal tank in there and it's heating as we speak. one thing that worries me, is I bought it at the lfs about 4 hours ago. I told him it would be a few hours before I could get it home and he said it would be okay til tonight. It's been sitting in the car in a bag and wrapped in newspaper for about 3-4 hours or so.

It will be fine if it's wrapped in newspaper. Do you have a hydrometer or refractometer to measure the salinity of your water? Because the directions on the salt don't always make it the correct salinity.

Yes. I have a hydrometer. Not sure how to use it, but I have one. haha. I just put the rock in the bucket with the heater.

1.025 is fine. That is on the high end, but anywhere between 1.022 and 1.025 is generally okay.

For the future, if your salinity is high, add water. If it's low, add salt.

I added some water and it came down to about 1.021. the temp is 78 degrees. Okay, I have some more questions for the pros. :) I just added all the rest of my water to the tank and I'm short about 2-3 gallons. I was wanting to get the tank circulating and heated this weekend. Think it would be alright to ad about 2-3 gallons of tapwater and then ad some aquasafe to remove chlorine? I wanna get this tank cycling.

Walmart is open 24 hours. I'm sure while you're there you can find all sorts of other stuff you need too. Like toothpaste, orange tic tacs, garbage bags, etc... Go ahead, top it off tonight!

I added some water and it came down to about 1.021. the temp is 78 degrees. Okay, I have some more questions for the pros. :) I just added all the rest of my water to the tank and I'm short about 2-3 gallons. I was wanting to get the tank circulating and heated this weekend. Think it would be alright to ad about 2-3 gallons of tapwater and then ad some aquasafe to remove chlorine? I wanna get this tank cycling.

Actually,Your snails,hermits,pods,and stuff will do better if you'll keep your salinity between 1.023 and 1.026.
I personally keep mine at 35ppt or 1.026.

Back