Help!

ReefyCane

SuperNewbie
Hi All,

Setting up my tank today and the overflow to the sump is rather loud. It has a sock in it, but it still makes a lot of noise. Also, how do I set my skimmer? It didn't come with a manual!

Thanks,
Rocky

is there someway you could put a piece of acrilic or glass at an angle so the water will run down that insted of just dumping into the water.

Is the splashing when water is entering the sump or is the overflow making slurping noises.For now,I assume its the water entering,Try putting some floss in it to quiet the noise or rig it so water drains underwater.

Sorry,I don't know what kind of skimmer you have.

Is it OK for me to rig something up so that the overflow empties below the sump water level...that is one of the reasons it is loud.

I have an ASM skimmer.

Thanks for the help guys!

RC

You should be able to set some kind of pvc extention so it drains underwater.Slowing down the return pump may help some.You do have some kind of ball valve on the return,right?

ASM is an in sump skimmer.Set it inside the sump,plug it up and make any adjustments so water doesn't overflow the collection cup.Many skimmers have some kind of adjustment you make to the water level inside the skimmer chamber....not sure on that particular skimmer.

So I think I have everthing set up correctly. I filled my tank and sump....I filled the main tank until my overflow wasn't slurping anymore. My water level is almost to the top of my tank. Should my entire overflow drain be covered by the draining water?

Also, should I be seeing skimmate with my skimmer? I have 15 lbs of live rock and 40 lbs of live sand in the tank. So far my skimmer cup looks pretty clean.

I added some tubing to the overflow drain and it quited the splashing down. The return pump is kind of loud and my Sunpod 150w HQI's fan is pretty noisy too. I guess I didn't realize the noise involved.

Again, thanks for the help.

~RC

the water should fall into the overflow box to effectively skim the water surface. If the water level is above the overflow then you're pump is too strong. put a tee and ball valve on the return from the pump and dump the excess flow back into the tank. if everything is working right, and the drain pipe is the correct size, I don't think much water should be standing in the back area of the overflow box.

most skimmers require a week or two to break in and start producing waste. and with no fish, you may not see very much when it does start to work.

you have got it all covered.

You do want to make sure that your sump has at least half of its volume open to take water in case of a poweroutage

-Doc

Back