Help!

Thats usually from the return pump sucking air. Did it just start recently? Have you topped off your water lately?

With a sump, you will only notice evaporation in the return section of your sump.

i cant really get a pic of it. just a lot of micro bubbles in the water after i started it up. it is the first time ive run the complete system

Did you drill a small whole at the water level to prevent a syphon from draining your tank? Sometimes those can suck air if they are too high up

i drilled one but it is above the water level so there is actually water coming out of it and not in. i turned off the power heads and im going to see it the water doesn't clear up

Everytime you turn the pump on and off you're going to go through that a little bit.. Make sure there is plenty of water above the part of the pump that sucks the water...If this is a new pump, it's gotta get all of that air out of the system, the only place for it to go is in the tank. Let it run for a few minutes., it will probably stop kicking out the bubbles. The microbubbles floating in the tank will clear up. If they don't you'r'e sucking air from somewhere and you have to troubleshoot it.

i drilled one but it is above the water level so there is actually water coming out of it and not in. i turned off the power heads and im going to see it the water doesn't clear up

That may be your problem..If the hole is above the water level, it's letting air get in..it needs to be just below the water level.

i think it may be my skimmer. that is the only other place i can think of that bubbles are produced. there were still micro bubbles this morning so i turned the system off untill i can figure out where they are coming from.

Skimmers can throw microbubbles for days possibly longer.. They take a while to "break in". New skimmers and microbubbles go hand in hand. If that is the issue, it's normal.

Obviously make sure you have the skimmer and everything else set up properly.

Last edited:
If your skimmer is discharging directly into the same compartment of the sump that your return pump is in it is most likely from the skimmer. I had to run my skimmer discharge line in the chamber before the return pump section so any bubbles wouldn't get sent back to the DT.

it was the skimmer. it was just pushing out too much air. the return line for the skimmer is on the other side of my baffles from the tank return pump.

Back