Help...

keegee1012

Reefing newb
My dad bought me a new 20 gallon aquarium and along with that is the equipment for keeping (Wave makers, thermometers, etc.) Along with 3 damsels. A week later, my dad bought a lot of fish after the tank has cycled. (All were juveniles though, a Tang, Three butterflies, two angels, and a pink skunk clown)

Me and my dad sorta argued about it so it ended up keeping the fish in the small tank which is bad. (Very)

A good three months have passed, none of the fish died, the problem is they grew bigger. (Especially that Scopas Tang)

Any suggestions on how big I should get my tank? (Smallest one possible... Thinking of a 90-100 gallon..)

you will need at least a 125 gallon 6 foot tank to keep all of those. the tang needs 6 feets of swimming room when it gets bigger.

I would really look into a tank of about 150 to 180.. and I would think about getting rid of the damsels when you make the move..

+1 everyone...welcome to the site fellow Flippy. I grew up in Makati :D

Go to liveaquaria.com and look up your fish...whichever one has the largest tank requirement, get that tank size. Glad you realize that it's bad to have put in that many fish in that short of a time in that teeny tiny tank :shock: Get the tank asap, get it set up and properly cycled, so you can start moving your fish over slowly. Keep us posted!

Isn't it funny when you know more than your parents?? I was in a state of disbelief a while back when my mom went to the LFS, came back with a bag of 8 not compatible tropical fish, dumped some water in a non heated tank, then dumped the fish in. Sometimes it's hard to try to explain to them how wrong they are...So glad none of your fish have died, you must be on top of those water changes :) What do you think about trading the Tang away, then maybe you won't have to go so extreme on tank size? Just a suggestion, let us know how it goes....

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. :) Im now saving to get a new 200 gallon tank, along with additional Live Rock of course and a more powerful wavemaker, filter, etc etc.

Its really nice to see the butterflies Eating my prepared foods (My Saddleback is really growing... Urgh) and my scopas tang is growing to be a very wonderful specimen, I dont intend of getting rid of the Tang (From the tiny runt, It's turned into a handsome fish, rivaling an average yellow tang in my eye) . I don't wanna rid those damsels though, I find them cute. (The Black Neon damsel would look stunning when it reaches full adult size.), And that goes the same to my Halfblack and Bicolor Angels (Which I finally got both to eat just recently and I dont intend to get them killed). The move will be done, more or less in a week.

Water Changes are quite constant, A little too constant. (Tiring for my part, since I have to mix saltwater formulas everyday, Etc etc.) and Im quite getting upset. -w-

Last edited:
Back