heniocus question

Civicdemon

Go Big Or Go Home !
Ok so came across a selling off his.system since they have to move. Anyways he has a heniocus and has had him for a year in his reef tank. So is it safe to buy it and put it in my tank. It should.be fine right ?

I have seen so many fish change personalities after being relocated. I personally wouldn't risk it but GOOD LUCK if you decide to try it but make sure it is a Diphreutes and not an Acuminatus.

I have seen so many fish change personalities after being relocated. I personally wouldn't risk it but GOOD LUCK if you decide to try it but make sure it is a Diphreutes and not an Acuminatus.

The current owner has it with zoas and Pink star polyps, witch would most likely be what it would pic on. Im hopping its the Reef safe one and I get lucky. If not ill just pull him out and sump it until I can find it a home. Im really hoping it will be fine since I really love this fish, Since I have one when I first started out my tank.

With having the fish side by side, even someone who's been in the hobby for years might have trouble. The Diphreutes are planktovorous so they won't touch coral. I wouldn't trust the fact that the fish is with zoas and star polyps because my foxface has its pick of all sorts of corals but he only picks on one montipora cap. I find that weird, and hopefully its not a "gateway coral".

Last edited:
Gateway coral lol... well i picked him up yesterday and he was in with kenya tree mushrooms gsp and zoas and he was fine in there. Also did a bit of reaserch on the difrence and it kinda looks like the good one to me looking at the anal fin and the comparisumes i was looking at. Hes ben in m tank now and so far so good. Im keeping my figers crossed. My fish seem to ignore him and everything looks good. Not nipping at corals or anything. And he has already eaten food and seems to love nori..

Day 2 and so far so good, But on another note time to pull the freken flame angel. Basterd is going after my Wellso even more now. Was trying to catch him earlier but couldn't get him. At work now so I will try tomorrow again.

You may have just saved my reef with that post about the flame angel. I was just at one of my LFSs and was considering getting a pair. The guy said he never had any trouble with any of them. On a side note, how is your experience with your Blue Jaw?

Last edited:
I've heard Flame Angels are hit or miss, which sucks because I think they're beautiful.
Those fish sure are purty!

So right. Its a shame all angels aren't reef safe, but then one might say that if that were the case then we would have overcollected them. I've heard that all the dwarf angels eventually turn rogue. A guy said he had a Coral Beauty for 4 years and it eventually started eating corals. Even the Waikiki Aquarium in Hawaii had some rogues. I heard that they had a few Vlagmi Tangs start to eat coral polyps in the reef display.

Yeah tje flame was alwys good before i added the acans. It would pick at it ones in a.whiel. but then i added my wellso. After that it got a taste and lovedit. I was able to keep it from the wellso by making sure theres nori for it to eat. But i guess now its bored of tje nori and is starting to go after the wellso again.

Back