Hermit crab query

Slayer

Reefing newb
Hi all, today i have found what looks like a dead Hermit crab but i can see the 3 i have in my tank. I have always had 3. I did notice in the last few days that one crab was coming out of his shell more and more. Last night he settled in the corner of the tank and was still there this morning except a set of legs and claws were next to him. At the top of the legs and claws was a see through substance which could be a body?

Im quite confused as i definately only have 3 crabs and all are accounted for! My water was tested yesterday and was fine, any ideas?

*Edit*#

On inspection its a complete crab...

Last edited:
I just researched your theory and i guess its right. I had no idea hermit crabs molted. It looks so much like a dead crab it is unreal.

Thank you for clearing this up for me!

Colin was right it's just a molt, check out this thread there are some pics of molts that look like they could be the actual crab

Yeeps! when I looked at this post a minute ago, it listed no replies, now I see he already got his answer. nevermind >.<

Last edited:
Thanks Hiker, I copied the thread but by the time I finished writing my reply I had forgotten to paste it in :shock:

Back