Hey there!

mkathyallen

Reefing newb
I just got a tank for my birthday, and my dad talked me into going with salt water... He used to keep 'em before he had kids, but this will be my first venture into the hobby, so I'm just trying to get my bearings straight before I start investing money. I've already learned a lot from your forums- thanks for all of the information!

Welcome to Living Reef! By the way, people are bluntly honest when it comes to keeping a reef, but pretty easy going on everything else.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! My tank is 15 gal- one of those deals with the filter and everything concealed in the back. Its still in the just salt and water stage, but I ordered some live rock yesterday... I don't know if I'm going to be able to handle the anticipation of finally getting some life in there!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! My tank is 15 gal- one of those deals with the filter and everything concealed in the back. Its still in the just salt and water stage, but I ordered some live rock yesterday... I don't know if I'm going to be able to handle the anticipation of finally getting some life in there!

From a fellow newbie, trust me it's worth the wait!! Only disasters happen fast!! Go about it with patience, the less problems you'll have, and ask questions, the guys on here, will always help you out. Oh, and don't forget the pics :D

My live rock came in yesterday morning, and it didn't disappoint! Two of the largest pieces are covered in shades of purple and red. Plus I've already seen a snail, an anemone, and a tiny starfish- all apparently alive and doing well! I never thought a rock would be this exciting!

My live rock came in yesterday morning, and it didn't disappoint! Two of the largest pieces are covered in shades of purple and red. Plus I've already seen a snail, an anemone, and a tiny starfish- all apparently alive and doing well! I never thought a rock would be this exciting!

hope that nem is not aptasia.

I ordered a few pounds of Timora sea and a few of the assorted nano rocks from premium aquatics- I think the timora is the one with all of the colors. Here's my first attempt at pics- hope it works:
DSCF1559.jpg

DSCF1589.jpg
I just realized how small the anemone is in the pic on top, so it prob. isn't helpful for identifying, but I googled for pictures of aptasia, and what I saw didn't look like the one in my tank.

You may want to take a closer pic of that anemone. It could be aptasia. I haven't experienced it yet, but it happens. If it is aptasia, you should get rid of it as quickly as possible.

Back