Hey

Cool, I just set up my 55 gal tank for saltwater, and got about 30lbs of live rock and a few dead ones, I think I got all the parts and pieces just waiting on the cycle to start adding fish, does that sound right or am I forgetting something?!?

I think, I have a fluvil 305 I put the output up top to break the water then I just put a small power head in the opposite corner at the bottom for movement..

Welcome to the site!

Fluval -- canister filter? They're not really great w/ saltwater tanks. Some have them, but they rinse them out regularly; otherwise they become nitrate traps. You can save yours to run carbon on emergencies, but I'd take them out before you put fish in. Just creates extra unnecessary work.

Hello and Welcome!

I would recommend a good protein skimmer for your tank instead of the canister filter. I would also get a few more powerheads. Having lots of flow is very important for your fish and corals. You want your tank turned over around 30x per hour.

I would also check out the articles section, lots of good information in there.

Hello and welcome!

Just a quick note, the general rule of thumb for rock is 1.5 to 2 lbs per gallon. You could probably use some more rock in your tank. You don't have to worry about getting Live rock, just buy some dead rock and put it in your tank, it'll seed and become live in a few months.

Anything else you can tell us about your set up? Do you have a sump or a fuge?

Glad to have you here.

Yeah I got a seaclone 100 as well for the protein skimmer, sounds like I should get another power head for circulation though I figured the sea clone, rock and my fluval should be enough filtration?

The seaclone skimmer are really crappy, i would count on them do any serious filtering and canister filters arent so great in saltwater either.

However, having enough live rock and doing regular water changes will do you just fine for filtration.

And yes, you should get some more powerheads.

Groovy, so theoretically I could get enough rock and just get rid of my fluval? Is that typical? I figured you had to have a mechanical filtration

nope, that is freshwater thinking. I ran my 46 for months with nothing but live rock. Adding the protein skimmer/sump/fuge is just to make things a little bit easier.

Back