Hey

Steven1974

Reefing newb
My name is Steven, I guess you could say that I have chosen to jump head first into the saltwater aquarium hobby. I purchased a 60 gallon aquarium, heater, 20lbs of live sand, 40lbs of regular sand, and a canister filter. I intend to have live rock and hope that my aquarium will be as beautiful as some that I have seen. I really have no idea what I am getting into and decided to join this forum with the hopes of finding some guidance and advice.

Welcome Steven,

You might wait to use the canister; it generally causes only problems in SW, and removes some benefits you would have otherwise.

Your rock and sand will do the filtering you need, to start.

Welcome Steven,

You might wait to use the canister; it generally causes only problems in SW, and removes some benefits you would have otherwise.

Your rock and sand will do the filtering you need, to start.
Ok. Thanks. This is all so confusing. LOL. Is there something specific about the canister filter that causes problems? and is there a way to set it up with types of filter media that would not cause problems and remove benefits? Are you saying that I should not use it until after the aquarium has cycled?

Canisters trap food particles and they rot. And corals and fish get less food. This may help:

Lots of people want to try saltwater but don't know what to start with, especially with filtration. Here's some options on how to do it:

Super cheap and easy:

1. Keep it simple for your first saltwater tank; you can get more complex later.

2. You can start with a "fish-only" tank, with fake things, and regular “play sand” one inch deep. And one small pump to circulate water.

3. Lights don't matter for fish-only; get cheap, or nothing at all. Fish feel safe in the dark. Or set it by a window.

4. No sump or canister is needed. That's right, no “filter” the way you might think of one.

5. Feed sparingly, based on the fish you have, and change 30% of the water per month. Yes, this will require new salt (or new saltwater) to buy. But it’s still cheap and certainly easy to understand.

6. Your sand, and your water changes, are your filter!

Canisters trap food particles and they rot. And corals and fish get less food. This may help:

Lots of people want to try saltwater but don't know what to start with, especially with filtration. Here's some options on how to do it:

Super cheap and easy:

1. Keep it simple for your first saltwater tank; you can get more complex later.

2. You can start with a "fish-only" tank, with fake things, and regular “play sand” one inch deep. And one small pump to circulate water.

3. Lights don't matter for fish-only; get cheap, or nothing at all. Fish feel safe in the dark. Or set it by a window.

4. No sump or canister is needed. That's right, no “filter” the way you might think of one.
Thank you, that's very helpful.
5. Feed sparingly, based on the fish you have, and change 30% of the water per month. Yes, this will require new salt (or new saltwater) to buy. But it’s still cheap and certainly easy to understand.

6. Your sand, and your water changes, are your filter!

Back