Heya, new here :)

babalaza

Makaira Indica Chaser
Hi all :sfish:

Im Ace, Joined just now, nice info and members on this site :D

Current college student in Knoxville, have had some saltwater fish tanks back home, used to have sea horses, clownies and yellow tangs.

Missed the saltwater fish too much so went ahead and got a small aquarium today lol

Still no fish in it, got some live rocks and water i got from the place.

Think ill get 2 of the beloved damsels for a start up lol

Nice to be here, now ill get back to reading the posts and checking some pictures :mrgreen:

Hi and welcome! Skip the damsels for cycling. Just use a piece of shrimp from the grocery store instead. Damsels are too hard to catch if they survive the cycle and they will just torment any other fish you try to add afterwards.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have!

HI, glad you found the site. I have found everyone here to be very helpful and full of tons of information. As for the shrimp, I believe you just drop in a raw shrimp and let it dacay in the tank to begin the cycling of your tank.

Welcome to the site. Biff is right you dont need fish to cycle a tank just a add some fish food or a piece of uncooked shrimp and let it go from there. Good luck.

Welcome to the site Ace.

I like to ''ghost feed'' a little fish food to start the cycle.The decaying food will start the cycle.Only once or twice is all thats needed.

Best of luck.

Welcome to the reef.
You might not want to use damsels to cycle with,unless of course you like to wet a line in your tank.

Welcome to the Reef man, post any questions you have, peeps will help ya...

Dont use fish to cycle, just use raw shrimp or ghost feed like Reef said...

Hmm. If you can get your salt in there you might be able to cycle your tank with some partially cured live rock. I duno tho I'm still kinda new myself. lol What do the rest of you think? LR good to start a cycle in a new tank?

glad to see you, welcome and hope you find what you need here. You mentioned getting a small tank, what size did you get and what are your plans?

-Dr Marco :sfish:

its a wannabe nano tank lol, its 6 gallons, got 4lbs of live rock and 5lbs of live sand. Dont know if the sand does anything, looks good though, will add another live rock in there.
Dont want something great now, just a lion fish or a grouper in there. Grouper might be too lazy though. Is it too small for clowns? Just want something that is either active or catches the eye.

You probably wouldnt want a grouper in a 6 gallon tank.
You'd be better off just going with a couple of the smaller gobys.
That size tank dont leave any room for errors.

with a 6 gallon tank, I would look to get one clown or two purple firefish. It is really too small for much else. way too small for a lionfish, even though they don't need much room.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Back