Hi, brand new to saltwater-go big or go home! :)

claireputput

Reefing newb
Hi, I have just started to transition into saltwater after having freshwater fish.
I have a 90g tank that I am upgrading today to a 120g tank. I have the goal of having a mixed reef tank with fish.
I currently have
150 lbs live rock
40 lbs live sand/aragonite

2 clownfish-Picasso percula and Snowflake Occelaris
1 blackcap basslet
1 Yelllow Tang
1 purple psuedochromis
1 yellow watchman goby
1 four stripe damsel (taking to LFS)
1 Blue devil damsel (again, returning to LFS)
1 bengaii cardinal

I also have invertebrates
4 or so peppermint shrimps
1 cleaner shrimp
2 brittle star
6 red leg hermit crabs
numerous snails

corals
zoa polyps
mushroom
gorgonian
plated mushroom
birdsnest
arcropora
and a couple of others
red sponge
yellow sponge

In the refugium (30g)
3 emerald crabs
chaeto

Equipment includes:
Coralife Skimmer rated for 220g
Evo Snake eyes 3 watt led reef ready lights 192 watts
led reef capable 36-48 inch marineland
in sump return pump
4 powerheads (2 on wavemaker)
in tank refugium for holding
2 little fishies biopellet reactor with Dr. Tims pearlized pellets
kalkwasser reactor (currently not hooked up)
filter sock

I have identified what I have but not what I know! And that is saltwater is very different from freshwater! VERY. It is labor intensive, at least right now and I have had a few scares, lost some stock but will keep going!
I do love it and there is just something really special about having my own piece of the ocean-more special than my freshwater friends! :)
Anyway, my goal is to have a fully stocked tank within two years and I am going to need plenty of research and help.

Hi @Aquarian
I am getting mixed messages which lead to buying fish that wont work. That basslet was a purchase I made thinking it would be striking in appearance and was supposed to be safe with larger invertebrates, eg shrimp and now, I will lose the purchase price as I bought him on line.
The psuedochromis was the same thing-online purchase that will be given to the store as it is local but I don't trade there.
Just frustrated because I spent 49.00 on a clam to find it eaten.
Shrimp are being eaten and apparently my brittle star will eat some as well-or is that other starfish that eat clams?
I don't know where to check for compatibility because it looks like sites want to sell and don't go into a lot of information about compatibility.
:)

First rule of on line venders is when it says "with caution" it means NO
Live aquaria has a nice compatibility chart on their website.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/compatibility_chart.cfm

Learning through trial and error is hard and costly. But it is how we all have learned, there's a lot of people here with vast knowledge they are happy to help and it's not a huge forum where your questions and posts will get lost.

I've not heard of a serpent star going after a clam (unless it was already dying or dead)

Thank you

Learning through trial and error is hard and costly. But it is how we all have learned, there's a lot of people here with vast knowledge they are happy to help and it's not a huge forum where your questions and posts will get lost.

I've not heard of a serpent star going after a clam (unless it was already dying or dead)
Thank you, I will check it out. The clam was healthy and filtering and I am fairly certain one of its tank mates attacked it. Just not sure which one!

Hello and welcome aboard, great to have you here! :)

I'm not sure, the selection process is automated and sometimes picks up on things that are innocent. Could have been the big list that triggered it but I'm just guessing!

What? You don't know? You are so fired Becky! :p

And "with caution" means that a certain fish from one region will go through your tank like Pacman and another from another region will not. For example, Emporer angels from the Red Sea or Australia have never bothered a coral in the dozen or so reef tanks I've had. Ones from Indo, Sri Lanka or The Philippines go through the tank like a 1 fish wrecking machine sampling everything they see, lol. Sponges don't stand a chance from ANY region with Pomacanthus angels or Pygoplites angels. I would NEVER put a Centropyge in anything but a FOWLR tank, PERIOD. They are so hit or miss it's not funny. I would make an exception for a mated pair of Resplendent angels. I don't have enough experience with Fijian , Samoan or Tongan fish to give a definitive answer, they weren't readily available the last time I had a reef tank.

Oh yea, welcome aboard.

Back