Hi from Alaska

CharlesHenryIII

Reefing newb
Hi,

First time here and I have a problem I thought you might be able to help me with. I started feeding spirulina in my reef tank because my Yellow Tang appeared to have Hemorraghic Septocemia. I also dosed my tank with triple antibiotic(Sulfa). My water quality is good but the water is reddish brown and water changes don't seem to help.

HELP!!!

Feel free to contact my email if you can help. Thanks in advance.

need to know what filtration you are using, additives, what is in your tank for rocks and substrait. when did the water change color and what did you do the preceeding week before the water changed color. do you do water changes and what color is the new water. how do you prepare it. give us a bit more information and we will try and help. Welcome to the site. glad to have you with us.

OK here goes, Filtration: ProClear Aquatics Pro 150 Wet/Dry with pre-filter. 125 lb of Premium Fiji with crushed coral substrate mixed 50/50 with live sand. One end of the tank has an additional 30 lbs of fine sand. The week prior I treated the tank with triple sulfa for a possible hemorraghic septocemia case in my Yellow Tang and my Royal Gramma had a ragged caudal fin so I thought what the heck. I believe I am overfeeding with spirulina as I am feeding them two or three times a day in recommended amounts. I am also using a live brine shrimp hatchery which constantly hatches live shrimp into the tank(mostly for the mandarin dragonet). Additional livestock is 1 large lawnmower blenny, six small damsels(released LAST WEEK, wonder if some of the pet shop water got into my tank somehow) one sifting star, ten mithrax crabs, one sally lightfoot, dozen or so cerinth snails, six peppermint shrimp, and an anemone. I also have white shrimp living in my filter. The water has a brown tint. I use Kent Marine, calcium, iodine and essential elements as directed. Water quality with all test performed with a master reef kit is excellent and the fish are healthy and eat well. The water is just ugly. I use Orbit compact flourescent lighting, which has OLD bulbs. New bulbs are on the way as I believe this might be part of the problem. Any suggestions???

I'm not familiar with your wet/dry, but you can put it anywhere that water will flow through it; the same place that you would put carbon or other media. You can use some old pantyhose as a bag for it if you need to.

If you have not run carbon since the treatment, now is a good time to do it. I also use chemi pure and you will need one pouch for each 40 gal of water. this should clear up the problem. How does your water smell. fresh or sour/stinky???? if it smells fresh then the chemi pure should clear it up. also check your glass on the inside for film, and your glass cover if you have one. keep us posted. if your water smells foul you need to check your protein skimmer, and increase the water changes. also sometimes when the water district changes direction of water flows we get brown water from the service for a couple hours. just a thought. good luck try the chemi pure and give it a few days to work. discard when done and do not reuse once removed. run for 10 days to 3 weeks max.

Be sure to rinse all chemical media before placing it in contact with your water otherwise you will also have a milky, cloudy look to it. Just a suggestion.

just curious...you said hemorragic septicemia?? how does the tang looks?? how was it diagnose?? does the other fishes in the tank infected? cause that condition is caused by bacterial infection.

Also I've heard not to put other aquarium water out of someone elses tank into yours. You need to find another way of placing your purchaces into the tank.

Back