Hi I'm New!!

ErYn

Reefing newb
Hello everybody!! well you guys better be prepaired, because i've got a million questions about my new reef tank.. i'm just joking, its not quite a million, but pretty close :) i bought a 55g reef tank, that had already been set up for a couple of years.. i've had fw tanks all my life, at one time we had 5 55g cichlid tanks... and i've always wanted a saltwater tank.. but my mom said it was too much work and blah blah blah.. so now that i'm on my own, and i came across the whole set up tank fish coral LR, (for a really great price too) i thought i'd start a new hobby!! so here i am!! woo hoo... :bounce: ok well like i said i have a bunch of questions.. however i'll take it easy on you guys, for now! my first question:: when i bought the tank the girl i bought it from kinda told me how to maintain it.. (note i said kinda) so i've been doing pretty good i've had it for 4 months now with no major problems. except i accidently killed the shrimp... i moved some rocks and he accidently got trapped, i was sooo sad!! but anyway she said when doing water changes just mix the salt with the fw and put it in the tank... so thats what i've been doing about every other week.. i change about 2 or 3 gallons.. however i have read that your supposed to aerate the new sw atleast over night... do you think i should start doing this?? i have a 10g old fw tank that is empty with a filter and a bubble wand, could i use that for my fresh sw??? ok just one more question.. this tank came with a bunch of testing stuff, however its all mixed together.. so it makes it really hard for me when i dont know how to in the first place, and i gotta piece it all together.. eeek.. soo i've read about the test strips, would that be a good thing for me to use?? and could anyone please give me a name of a good brand, because i'm a little worried about my LFS, i've went there and the guy that was helping me knew less than i did (thats scary.) i would appreicate any help or insight that anyone could give me!! oohh i bet you guys would like to know what i have in my tank huh?? well i have lots of LR (dont know how much exactly, like i said i bought it stocked and she couldnt tell me much about the specs.) also i have a yellow tang, a yellowstripe marron clown fish (which the girl i bought it from said it was a tomato clown, after some research i found out it wasnt... :grumble: ), and a yellow tail damsel, for the coral i have a green brain, and what she called trumpet coral (i'm really not sure if thats the correct name or not???) i also have a huge green carpet anemone, and a bunch of little anemone things, that have kinda all of a sudden popped up everywhere.. also yesterday i found a new thing growing in my tank!! i think it is a baby trumpet coral (if thats what they really are) but the other bigger ones are like a red/green brownish color, and this one is very iridescent and its a bluish/green... and its only like an inch or so big.. as for the lighting and filer i really have no idea, all i know is that it works!! thats bad.. lol i think the light is a corallife... and the filter is a hangon.. so thats my tank! (and my novel, geesh) and this is only the beginning, there's alot more!! but i'll save it for another day... again thanks to anyone that can give me some help (because i sure need it :D ) ~~Eryn~~

Welcome

ErYn - check out the saltwater forum articles. There will be a lot of initial information that will be useful to you. once you have finished that, test your water parameters, salinity, amonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium, phosphates, silicates, temperature spread, circulation, type of lights and how many, depth of tank, sand bed medium and depth, and anything else you can tell us about the filters etc. type size etc. once the information is posted then it would be possible to help with some of your questions. Also check out and read the newbies forum, and reef talk forum. you will find that a lot of infromation is there for the reading as others before you have also been there and the questions have been asked. once your reading is completed and before you're done I would recommend a book to help give you a jump start. a cheap but through book I highly recommend is CORALS - by John Tullock. pub. Barron books. Library of congress catalog card # 99-59661. This book is under $15.oo and with your fw background will give you a jump start. So take a few evenings and browse around the site and check out the various forums. I hope your experiance with Living Reefs is a pleasant and educational one. naturally we remain avaiable to answer any questions you may have to the best of our ability and based on the system information you provide to us. You can surley use the 10 gallon for a salt water makeup tank. You will need to mix up your water, specific gravity of 1.025, airiate and ciculate briskly for at least 24 hours (preferably 48 to 72)at main tank temperature, then, when ready to do the change top off the main system with purified water (ro/di, distilled, etc) and once mixed well pull out of the main tank the amount you want to replace and put in the new prepared makeup saltwater. hope this helps. WELCOME TO THE FORUM AND GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PROJECT. Some pictures would be very nice when you get around to it. again Welcome.

Welcome to are forum.Can you get a picture of little anenomes that are popping up.They might be aiptasia wich are not good,but they also might be off spring of the carpet anenome.I use strips some times for quick test(mardel brand very cheap on ebay)I also like seachem test for calcium,nitrate,alkalinity, and Ph.Some test have expiration dates on them.What brand do you use? Do you have something called a skimmer on tank setup?If not I would recommend adding one.the hagon does it hang on the back of the tank?How many bulbs does the coral life light have?You thought you were the one asking the questions.Also do read the articles JNHRB has a welth of knowalge and has sharred some of there

thank you to everyone! i have read all the articles, like its my bible!! :bowdown: haha seriously though, they are all really helpful, and i have learned a lot. for my filter it does hang on the back, and i dont have a skimmer, what is the main function of one?? this tank has never had one, and its a couple of years old.. i'm kinda worried if i start adding or changing stuff, it will not do as well as it is now.. i have i think 4 bulbs on my coralife.. if someone could tell me how to post pictures, i will attempt. i do have a digital camera, and i thought my photograph skills were pretty good, however i cant seem to take a good picture!!! i tried for like hour the other day!! and there almost all blurry! so i'll work on it some more and hopefully i'll come up with some better pictures!! i also have another question, when adding the supplements (and the sw), the girl i bought it from said to just dump it in, is that ok to do? or is there a special way??? thanks again!!
Eryn

You do not have to have a skimmer but it is highly recommended. I pulls junk out (fish poop) of the water that a typical mechanical filter can't (very small particles).

When you take pictures try taking from an angle. dont take pictures looking straight on into the tank, use a slight angle and see if that helps you. For adding water or supplements I prefer to add slowly and let it mix well as it is being added. just dumping it in could cause a problem with your animals in the form of shock or stress. now remember in order for us to really help you we really need to know your water parameters. maybe you could take a sample to your lfs and have them test it for you. if so post your results before you buy anything else. as for the protien skimmer, you will not need one as long as you do not over stock the system and provide adequate water changes. you need to be testing often if you do not have a protien skimmer for nitrates, amonia, nitrite, silicate, phosphate. see the articles forum ill post an article on protien skimmers.

thank you for the article, it was really helpful, i think i understand the point now! any suggestions on what size or type should i use for my 55g?? this weekend, i am going to go to my not so lfs (its like 45 mins away) and have them test my water, and i'll post the results. also thanks for the tips on taking pics, i'll give it a try. :toothy12:
~Eryn~

The functionality of a skimmer also depends on the size tank, the load IN the tank, the quality of your water, etc. You can compare skimmers all day but you'd be comparing apples to oranges each time.

Basically, the smaller the tank, the cheaper the skimmer can be. The more bio-load (the amount of waste-producing creatures in the tank), the more quality you must strive for in the skimmer.

There have been debates about 'over-skimming' and, IMO, you truly COULD strip the water of essential nutrients with too powerful a skimmer for it's application.

Just my :twocents:

thank you for the suggestions.. unfortunately my cash flow is a little low.. so i will probably have to go for the cheaper one, for now. maybe one day (soon hopefully) i'll be able to afford the best! i need a cleaner shrimp, i think the one i had was a scarlet skunk, i think. but he had an unfortunate accident, we wont go into that again.... lol i think i need more cleaners... i have one hermit and one snail, and now no shrimp... do ya think i need more cleaners???

If you go with the seaclone send "fishman" a PM he has that and i think there are a couple mods you can do to it to really help it out a bit.

Just an idea.

Back