Hi

joeman

MorphingSquid
Hi all, so here's my introduction: My addiction to fish-keeping started as a kid when I won my first goldfish at a local fair throwing hoops at pins on a board (or something like that). I progressed over time to a 'large' 40g freshwater community tank. When I moved from England to Germany about 6 years ago I had to start all over again, so took the opportunity for a slight change and set up a Cichlid tank. 3.5 years later I moved to the USA - time to start again.... I have always aspired to set up a saltwater tank, but cost had stopped me taking the plunge, and the first time I walked into my LFS I thought I had died and gone to heaven :-) I walked out with a 150g tank which I actually set up initially as a fresh water tank, but with thoughts and ideas for what I would do next. (the 40g I brough over from Europe became my sump...)
Am I boring you yet???
To cut to the chase, a '4th July Blowout sale' led to the purchase of a 2nd 90g pre-drilled tank & this one is becoming my 'reef'. I have subsequently converted the 150 to saltwater and in addition have a 4g Nano and 29g BioCube.
My Reef tank is still in it's early stages (despite being 18mnths old) because I have not really invested in too many corals yet, I've been focussing on the system, adding bits and pieces unitl I finally feel confident that I can hold and sustain excellent water quality. Fluctuating temperature is the only concern at the moment and I am trying to avoid having to buy a chiller - but may give in eventually. What I currently do is similar to the post by HAWKS but instead of running my air intake through a cooler (think I will give this a try), I pump water from my sumps through an old freezer in a closed loop back to the sump and rely on the heaters to kick in if the water temp drops too far - but this has never been an issue :-) The other aspect is that I may me moved again soon, equipment I can take with me - livestock I can not :-(
Anyway, looking forward to spending many hours on this site, so no doubt speak to you all again soon!
j

Welcome to the Reef !

Every one here is friendly and 99 times out of 100 you will find an answer to any question you may have.

With that being said Enjoy your stay here and feel free to post away
Pictures and Questions are all welcomed.

Welcome to the reef.
Like Lion said,Feel free to post and questions and pictures.Thats why were all here.

As for your freezer converted to chiller.You can also set it up so that you have vinyl tubing running through the freezer part,and hook up a line voltage t-stat to kick a small pump on when the water temp gets to a certain point.

Welcome to the site!
Thats a lot of tanks.I bet you have your work cut out for you during water changes.Feel free to post pics of your systems.

Back