Hi!

jenna728

Reefing newb
Ok, so I NEED help.
I just took over maintaining an aquarium at an elementary school. I know some about saltwater, but not a ton. This is someone elses mess that I am stuck with pretty much. The tank is a 55g it has SUPER high nitrate levels which I assume is from overfeeding. It is LOADED with base rock and has NO lr. This tank also has a fuge in a 20 long. I've done a ton a research (because up until this I knew nothing about refugiums) and have pretty much figured that I need to add live rock and sand to the fuge. There is Chaeto in it. There is a small amount of sand in the fuge already do I need to remove it or just add more? Also, is the easiest way to lower the nitrates (assuming it is from overfeeding) to remove the substrate and add new or just stir it up and hope for the best.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY ADVISE!!!!!!!
Jenna

ok well base rock will turn into live rock but usually it is not as porous as regular live rock. the next think is to get the nitrates down that is all done by water changes. if I were you I would start with a 50% water change. then every few days do 20% water changes. in my sump I have about 20 lbs of sand and prob 20 lbs of live rock in it. I would leave the sand along if u mess with it too much you run the chance of making the tank cycle again. just clean the top good when you are doing water changes.

no as long as the new water is a good match in temp and salinity. the other thing is are u using tap water or rodi

I plan on using RODI, most likely the previous person used tap. One of the teachers at school said everytime that the sand is turned around that all the fish die. This is due to nitrates/overfeeding right?

when u stir up the sand it can create all kinds of things to happen. what is the nitrate level at. how about ammonia and nitrite.
what is the salinity. messing with the sand especially in a tank that has been over fed can release rotting food. into the water that in turn will make the ammonia and other things go sky hi. when u change the water just skim the top 1/2 to 1 inch of the sand. how deep is the sand bed in the tank. i use to change my water at 20% every week but with my job i am gone for 2 weeks at a time so when i get home i change 50% to 60% then in 6 days whenIi go back to work i change at another 30%. big water changes will not hurt the fish as long it is done the right way.

I work at a LPS and didn't test the water after I stirred the sand. It is about 3 inches deep. I only used the crappy strips when I tested the water but ammonia and nitrites were at 0. The nitrates were higher then I've ever seen them before. Should I change sand too?

Back