High End Zoos...worth the price?

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
Since I'm not going to spend the money on the vortech powerhead I'm going to splurge on some high end corals. Let me know if you think they're worth the price.

First one is Next Generation Purple Hornets

Purple Hornet Zoos Next Generation
[SIZE=-2]Zoanthus sp.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
PurpleHornetZoosNG1.jpg

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]As you can see, this zoa sports a purple body with a distinctive yellow/green ring around the mouth and an alternating purple/green skirt – definitely a gem in the industry. Very similar to the "original" purple hornet zoos, there are plenty of us that don't care about liniage or want to spend $150 per polyp, but could do 5+ polyps for $39.99. They are easy to maintain, making them a good choice for the beginner reef aquarists. They will reproduce in the reef aquarium by budding (splitting off a portion of their base or mouth), which will increase the size of their colony.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]$49.99[/SIZE]

New Release
Japanese Fruitloop Zoanthid Polyps
[SIZE=-2]Zoanthus sp.
[/SIZE]
JapaneseFruitLoops.jpg

[SIZE=-1]We've been working on this one for a while, and we have enough stock to finally offer this beauty. Polyps are unique in that they use sand and other substrate material into their tissue to help create their actual structure. Each aquacultured specimen has from 3-5 polyps. Easy to maintain, Zoanthid Polyps, also called zoas or zoos require a medium light level combined with a medium water movement within the aquarium. For continued good health, they will also require the addition of iodine and other trace elements to the water. They will reproduce easily in the reef aquarium by budding (splitting off a portion of their base or mouth), which will increase the size of their colony. They contain the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae which provides some of their nutritional requirements. They will also benefit from additional feedings of microplankton or brine shrimp given to each individual of the colony.[/SIZE]

$69.99

New Release
[SIZE=-2] [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Aquacultured Eye of Jupiter
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Zoanthus sp.
[/SIZE]
Zoos_%20Eye_of_Jupiter.jpg

[SIZE=-1]This new one is a real knock out. Polyps are unique in that they use sand and other substrate material into their tissue to help create their actual structure. Easy to maintain, Zoanthid Polyps, also called zoas or zoos require a medium light level combined with a medium water movement within the aquarium. For continued good health, they will also require the addition of iodine and other trace elements to the water. They will reproduce easily in the reef aquarium by budding (splitting off a portion of their base or mouth), which will increase the size of their colony. They contain the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae which provides some of their nutritional requirements. They will also benefit from additional feedings of microplankton or brine shrimp given to each individual of the colony. Each aquacultured specimen has a minimum of 3 polyps.[/SIZE]

$59.99

I'm only looking to spend around $150 including shipping so I'll be getting 2 of the 3 listed. Suggestions/thoughts/comments?

I love them too so it's going to be a hard choice. I'm sure they'll grow and spread. Zoos grow awesome in my tank. I'm torn as to which ones to get. I'm def going for the NGPH and I'm leaning more towards the Jap Fruit Loops.

Dave I would also add that I have ordered from aqua connection before and they didn't have most of those actually available. They sent my order in two shipments and then two weeks later when I confronted them about the rest of my order they refunded what the had not shipped. Needless to say I was disappointed that they don't tell you what is available and what is not. I figured if it was available to purchase then they had it available. That wasn't the case at least for me. Good luck I hope you get them.

Your not going to buy from Aquacon are you?Bad reputation on the net.What you get may not even look close to those pics.

They look awesome,maybe too awesome.Will they actually look that intense when we put them in our tanks?

I'm in the same boat...I love the way they look through a camera lens, but in real life it's quite different. I see some zoo frags now and again that are $40 to $100 per polyp!...It just freaks me out. I just can't justify the cost.

ive got a 5 polyp piece of the fruiloops i can sell for $50, the first ones are deepwaters too i have those as well pm me if interested :)

Dave, PM me. I have a girl here that I get my stuff from. Rastas, True Red Hornets, True Blue Hornets, and True Purple Hornets. She does ship and is reasonable on her pricing. Plus, as they grow out you can make your money back selling some frags.

juicy corals, cherry corals, and vivid aquariums are great online vendors all reasonale prices, the prices above arent too bad either.

I've been to Juicy Corals store front a few times and they have some neat pieces, but the lighting they keep their corals under is barely sufficient, sad to say. I bought $60 worth of microsmussas and they died during photo acclimation. Plus, they guy was saying that most of their stuff is straight from the ocean, so a lot of their coral isn't aquacultured.

The really nice thing about higher end zoas is that once you get two or three colonies of steady producers you typically don't have to buy too many more. Zoa collectors seem to be one breed of reefer that truly like to trade with each other. So get a couple that are pretty desireable and a little less common, let them grow frag and swap. Just my two cents.

Wow! Those are some amazing looking zoas! Please let me know how things work out as I'm in the same boat and want to start off my tank with an extremely colorful zoa colony.

Dave, PM me. I have a girl here that I get my stuff from. Rastas, True Red Hornets, True Blue Hornets, and True Purple Hornets. She does ship and is reasonable on her pricing. Plus, as they grow out you can make your money back selling some frags.
i would def be interested in some

Back