High Nitrates

reefkeeper55

Reefing newb
I need some really quick advice ...in my 150 reef tank all parameters are including nitrites @ 0, ammonia @ 0, salinity @0.123 ect. My nitrates are over 200...I have a large sailfin and lg koran and I dont really think I am overfeeding them .. I did a 30 gal water chg last weekend and they are still through the roof...my filtration system is a wet/dry system I was using in my previous tank which was 75gal, my skimmer is a hang on the back Remora Pro that I also used on the 75 that is mounted in my sump.. seriously considering adding a Fluval FX 5 because I am thinking that my filtration system is insufficient for this size tank...the only time I have had my nitrates @ 0 I did 30gal changes every two weeks for 3 weeks and it caused my tank to cycle...do you guys (and girls) lean toward it being a filtration problem or a skimming problem? in addition to the two fish I mentioned add 3 yellow tangs, 3 chromis, 2 clarkis, i regal and 1 naso. I know i am close to my limit of stock but they are large fish and I can"t get by with one or two cubes of food per day....sorry for the long post>

I think you are overstocked, hence all the waste leading to high nitrates. I would get on a consistent water change schedule, and change out the wet/dry filter. That could be the cause of the nitrates. I would instead get a good sized fuge going. You are also going to need a bigger skimmer. You want a skimmer rated for twice you water volume, so im guess the one you have is pretty undersized. I also would not add the other filter because they can add to the nitrate problem unless you clean them out every two or three days.

Wow my nitrates were 15 a week ago and I freaked out! My test kit doesnt even go that high.

Sounds like you upgraded your tank and fish size without upgrading the equipment.

My LFS swears by bioballs which I believe you can add to the wet dry filter they use them on all their display tanks and they just really love them.

I would do some research on google and form your own opinion about what is best for your tank and your budget.

I would get rid of the wet/dry, or at least remove the bioballs. Those can lead to high nitrates over time. I would not get a Fluval canister filter. Canister filters will end up causing the same problems as wet/dries.

Your skimmer is undersized for your tank. If you are going to use a skimmer, you need to get one rated for twice the size of your tank.

Instead of the wet/dry, I would set up a refugium and use macroalgae like chaeto to naturally reduce the nitrates.

thanks for the info, forgot to mention the bioballs have been gone for a couple of years ...i just have small pieces of rock where they once were..

Also forgot to mention I am also running a Rena XP3 packed with Eheim Substrat Pro along with the wet dry...Cant see where this has made any diference at all as far as the high nitrates

Back