high nitrites

ltljoker

The Great Tang Herder
I am setting up my 210 and am going thru a mini cycle. My amonnia is a wopping 0 my nitrates are at 0 also. But my nitrites are at a staggering 1.0 ppm is there anything I can do besides water changes to lower the nitrites. I have already done a 50 gallon water change and if the nitrites dont come down by tommorow I plan on doing another 50 gallons. Please ohhhhh mighty and all knowing wizards give me some HELP:frustrat:

do you have another tank that is up and running, or is everything already in the new tank?

have to ask... what's the water source?

Ya, pratt's question is pretty important because if you don't have anything in the new tank, you should just wait out the nitrites rather than doing huge water changes. By changing out too much water you can actually start another mini-cycle because you'd be dumping out half (or so) of the bacteria that's already in the water. Plus, if you're basing your new tank on how you set-up your two 90's, remember that the 210 is going to take longer to cycle...or at least is my understanding...someone else back me up if I'm right or shut me up if I'm wrong. :mrgreen:

I have all the smaller fish in a couple of other smaller tanks but all my live rock and coral are in the new tank. Im gonna wait it out and see what happens:frustrat:

I wouldnt really say that a bigger tank takes longer to cycle.That all depends on just how high the levels spike.I had a 55 that took close to 3 months to cycle.
Also,when ever you move a tank,or transfer stuff from an established tank to a new one,you run the risk of a mini-cycle.Its a crap shoot.Sometimes it works,sometimes it dont.

Add some bacterial additive like 'special blend' or stress-zyme. I use then and they have always seemed to speed up the cycle a lot.

If you're nitrates remain a problem try az-no3. I have staghorns so my nitrates halft to be low and this product does the job. I highly recomend it to everyone.

Ummm I can try to get one but sadly I have no idea how.

If I can't get one if u ask you're lfs they will probably have it in stalk. The only thing is that u halft to have a working protine skimmer. But I'm allmost shore that everyone on here has a working skimmer.

Sorry I can't get a link.

Hi, Stop panicking, Have patience, let it cycle, the time it takes dependes on many things, [which if you knew you wouldn't be asking ] the trick is patience and pass your time reading all the books you can get hold of. Regards.

Back