Hitchhiker Starfish-W/Pic

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
Cleaning the tank. I moved some empty snail shelfs away from the front glass and was scrubbing algae off the front glass--down near the bottom of the tank. Making a mess--stirring up the sand bed from my vigorous circular motion with the mag-float.

This little guy popped up out of the dust cloud. Had to be under the sand. He's about 1.5" across all the legs. Center of body can't be 1/4" diameter. Clear in color--matches the sand bed perfectly. Long skinny arms.

:shock:

Starfish.JPG

Please don't tell me it's a tank killer. If I have to find it again, I'm hosed. It scrambled up under a rock and disappeared. I almost got out the turkey baster and sucked it up, but didn't want to hurt it. I should have sucked it up and put it in a glass jar with some water for better photos.

If i can see that very well that is the same thing as what was in my coral rock i decided they were brittle stars i hope they arent tank killers too

It looks like a brittle star to me. Reef safe, excellent cleaners. BTW, cute outline... Made me smile.

Thanks. I'm not quite as good at the photoshop thing as Lionfish, but I try. :mrgreen:

I just opened the JPEG image in Paint and used a brush with heavy line to outline it. I knew if I didn't--nobody would be able to see it.

That little bugger is FAST! He scampered across the sand and skinnied up under that rock in a split second. Barely had time to grab the camera and snap a shot before he was gone.

Where there's one- thar be more......... :bounce:

Yep Rc.I'd say there are probably a whole lot more than your thinking.
I counted over 50 in my tank one night.

I was thinking I might have between 25-100 in my tank. I've been sitting in front of my tank late at night with a little pen flashlight. I probably have 100 little bristleworms in my tank. That was a shocker at first. Wouldn't surprise me to discover I had a lot of those brittle stars too.

Same body shape as mine, but I couldn't see any stripes on the body. Mine looks white. Maybe mine is a jeuvenile?

there are a lot of variaty in colors..serpents stars are good detritus eaters..they hide during the day..ive seen a lot of them under rocks when reefing..i have 3 of them in my tank that i collected..

yep defenetly a serpent star..that was a great find as a hitchhiker..they cost around 14 dollars in the state..here they cost 8 dollars...reef safe..and fun to watch

Back