HOB filter?

steeldoc

Reefing newb
I have a 75gal FOWLR with a 20gal sump for my main filtration. and a skimmer in the sump as well. i recently put a penquin 350 on the back of my tank. i was told by EVERYBODY that i talked to that the blue filter sheet inside the filter is a nitrate factory. but what about the 2 bio-wheels. leave them or remove them. i would like to keep the filter going for the water surface adgitation. but my nitrates are currently out of control. i just started a carbon dose yesterday to help. we will see how it goes. also by the way i have a very low bio load. thanks

Do you have any powerheads? Your powerheads should be creating surface agitation for you not the filter. The bio-wheels will become a nitrate factory as well. By carbon dosing, are you referring to vodka dosing? If so, be very careful many people have crashed their whole tanks trying that method and not knowing what they were doing. And finally, what is your water change schedule like? That should be your main method of lowering nitrates.

yes i have one power head a rio 2100. and also yes im talking about the vodka method, i have done A LOT of research on this. not a fan but it seems to be my only option for now. i do a 10 -15% water change weekly. but as of right now i can not afford store bought water and my tap water is high in nitrates already. so it doesnt help much. and i dont have a RO/DI unit yet. im waiting for my wife to not be so mad at me for spending so much money on my new hobby before i go by one. but that will def be my next purchase.

I'm assuming the rio is the return pump from the sump. If so I believe it only pushes about 300 GPH at 6 feet of head. For a 75 gallon tank I would seriously consider adding more flow. Without enough flow,detritus will build up on the bottom of the tank and never make it to the skimmer thus rotting in the tank and spiking the nitrates. Not trying to sound to harsh here but...If you were to do more research into proper aquarium husbandry then having to dose vodka wouldn't even be in play. I've heard way to many horror stories about vodka causing everything from algae problems to bacterial issues to full tank crashes. Find the source of the nitrates and correct it.... not treat it. My 2 cents.

yes i have one power head a rio 2100. and also yes im talking about the vodka method, i have done A LOT of research on this. not a fan but it seems to be my only option for now. i do a 10 -15% water change weekly. but as of right now i can not afford store bought water and my tap water is high in nitrates already. so it doesnt help much. and i dont have a RO/DI unit yet. im waiting for my wife to not be so mad at me for spending so much money on my new hobby before i go by one. but that will def be my next purchase.

Well doing a water change with bad water isnt going to help much. You cant afford to buy filtered water from your aquarium store? It cant be more than a dollar a gallon which is much cheaper than an RODI unit.

This is not a cheap hobby thats for sure but its much less costly if you set the tank up to succeed from the beginning by ensuring you have access to quality water.

Back