Holy Crap

He won't..even if his tank crashes, he'll be sitting there wondering why it crashed, and will try again. He'll probably just delete our posts or take the video down...hehehehe

Am I the only one that isn't angry at this guy? I think he will soon suffer some disappointments, but I don't t hink he is evil, and he does not make me sick. I see him as uninformed, but still a person who shares my interest in this rather obscure hobby. He will probably be really upset when his tank crashes, but maybe that will prompt him to do better research next time, stop listening to his LFS or whoever is counseling him now, and mature as a reefer. Maybe someday he will actually contribute to this hobby.

Let only the people who have not killed fish or done something stupid in this hobby cast stones. Me? I'm not throwing any.

if you saw 10 children being kept in a small room where they had no room to play or space to breathe and essentially living in their own filth until they died youd be pretty shocked.

Sounds like my office. ;)

I understand your point, but children are different than fish. I mean, people EAT fish! I would be shocked to see people eat children. I would also be shocked if there were Local Children Stores (LCS's) where I could go buy a child. I would be shocked if I saw people keeping children in cages, no matter how large. I'm not sure the analogy fits here.

I do feel bad for the fish though. No doubt. I'm just not ready to hate the guy yet.

Last edited:
I missed the video and therefore dont get to see the comments!! I think all of you who posted comments should let us who didn't get to see the video know what you said!

While I can understand the not knowing of being a newbie to the hobby, I had a super bioloaded tank with hang on the back filters two years ago and was advised by a local fish store that this was a good setup for me # of fish and everything! But I would have known better than to lots of fish in a 5 gal. That just seems to be common sense.

I don't think anyone's hating the guy. (at least, I'm not sure about Biff! LOL) I think people just hate what he's doing. We try our best to keep people educated, but it gets blown to bits when people like that guy post a video of his "cool looking 5 gal tank that's been up for a cool month!". People who don't want to do the research will say "Well, this guy did it!" Ignorance feeds ignorance.

I pretty much just said "Poor fish! A one month old tank is not an awesome feat, and neither is your 5 gallon setup" or something like that. Biff left a long "Bifferism" that wasn't as biting as she normally goes, but it was still to the point.

Others commented similar rants -- that this is not a proper setup, too many fish, they will die, etc. Not one person left a positive comment....unless you count the poster himself, who justified the first negative comment by saying "This is a one month old tank!"

Yeah I didn't think I was too mean. I told him it was his responsibility to research the animal's needs, and make sure he can meet those needs, which he obviously didn't do. I told him that what he was doing was cruel to those animals, and that he should be preparing for a crash, because that's what's going to happen. I said those fish need a tank at least 10 times the size of what he was providing them. I also said that having a tank set up for one month is not a long time, and nothing to brag about. Oh and I complimented him on his plastic plants and corals and told him he must be doing a great job if he has managed to keep the plastic animals alive for a whole month. I think that's the only "mean" thing I said!! :D

Back