Horrid, horrid smelling algae

Tanner

Tanerious Swimeroundus
Ok so I know algae smells bad, but the other day , growing off the foot of my rock anemone, was some algae, so I sucked it up, and almost threw up, it was the worst algae ive ever smelled. Its like, white and green, should I remove my anemone? Because theres like a never ending supply growing off his foot.:grumble:

I found some on my power head also though, and the anemone is looking healthy. Should I remove him and take a look? Or give him back to the LFS? I don't want the poor guy to die :(.

you shouldnt really have a anemone until your tank is about a year old. its not mature enough only being at a few months. can you take a pic of the anemone?

photo.jpg

Algae will smell when they die, but it shouldn't be as bad as you described it.
i have lots of algae in my aquarium, some that turn white at night and green in the day. lots also die and when i remove it and set it aside. it doesnt really stink too much.could be something else is decomposing in your aquarium.

Yep, it was definitally my anemone, I took himout and yeah, it was him. I feel so badd, I should have done more research :(

i removed mine before it got to that point. even if my aquarium was the most efficient aquarium in the world, i would never get an anemone. it's just not worth the risk.

Tanner is that picture of the anemone a current one you took tonight? The reason I'm asking is because it looks like, at least in that picture the anemone is healthy. So I'm confused.

I don't think so, I'm pretty sure hes gone :S :(

And no dcan its not, he looked a little closed yesterday, and today he was shriveled but still on the rock, thats why I asked, I thought maybe the "algae" that was on his foot was doing something to him. :/

Haha its ok, I should have done a little more research before I even thought of getting one.

Lets all have a moment of silence for gertrude the rock anemone.

Back