Horseshoe Crab & Flame Scallop?

Grouper954

Reefer Addict
My first creature I put in my tank is a flame scallop. He happily found his spot and anchored himself to a rock. Today I bought a horseshoe crab. He wandered over towards my scallop and the scallop started clapping, I thought the horseshoe was done for. He somehow managed to get away unscathed, but now I'm worried about these two......Anyone have success keeping both?

Nobody has any success with horseshoes, they are better left in their natural habitat, you 55g just doesnt have the sandbed to hold it. And flame scallops dont survive long in our tanks either.

Nope, both animals are best left in the ocean. Our tanks don't have enough sand for horseshoe crabs to get much of anything to eat, and they grow very large pretty quickly

Flame Scallops are filter feeders, and the types of food they filter are not generally available in our tanks

+100

Research would have saved you from buying both of these animals as neither are suitable for our tanks and are pretty much doomed to die in captivity.

I don't know what you've seen but the oyster feast looks like semen its about as fine as I've seen, I put a few drops on a high rock and my arrow crab ate it like candy before it desepated into the water that must be when some use the controllers to turn off pumps for spot feeding stuff like that and turning the pumps back on.

I don't know what you've seen but the oyster feast looks like semen its about as fine as I've seen, I put a few drops on a high rock and my arrow crab ate it like candy before it desepated into the water that must be when some use the controllers to turn off pumps for spot feeding stuff like that and turning the pumps back on.

The consensus among the research I did on flame scallops a while back was that there were no commercially available foods that are small enough for keeping flame scallops long term

interesting i ran across this thread ... i have had a flame scallop for about 3 months now ... havent noticed any deterioration yet but as little_fish said i am sure it wont last long

they wont really start falling apart until you get to about 6 months or so( my experience). I did however manage to keep one for about 18 months before it went south..

Back