horseshoe crab

PufferGuy

Reefing newb
Anyone have any experience with these?? The guy at the LFS only told me they are very good sandsifters... they arent discussed too much on this forum so i figured there has to be a catch.

well that would be a minor setback if thats the only problem with them... but i can get it small and trade it back to the LFS if it outgrows my tank

I have two of them in my 150 and I only see them 1-2 times a week. They were about 1 1/2 inches big and now only about 2 inches big after almost a year. I like them they are cute to watch. Seem to be hardy. If they grow to 3 feet I'd recommend taking them to Sea World.

They eat leftovers and do a pretty good job sifting. I think they sleep a lot. They're not moving around all that much. They bury themselves and stay put. It seems like they were a lot more active when I first got them. Honestly I like them but I think snails do more sifting.

If you don't have a lot of room for them to crawl around they will crawl up your rocks and knock over your corals. They are not graceful at all.

90% of my corals are glued... i guess i need to figure out if its worth the money or if i should spend the $10 getting something else

One thing about horseshoe crabs,is they will get themselves stuck under a rock sometimes.If they cant free themselves,they'll die.They can also knock your rock work over busting the tank.

I would not put them in a 40 gallon tank.They usually sift through the sand depleting the fauna and then usually starving to death. I would not think about it unless you have a 6 ft tank and plenty of mature sand. JMO

+1 mike

Also, i am sure that there are plenty of different species of horse shoe crab. Some probably dont get much bigger than a couple inches or so. But there are ones that get 12 inches across not sure how long with their tail but their head is 12 inches wide. Seen them at the aquarium before.

Brian

they only grow 3 feet if you buy a sertain speisis they grow like 5 inches if you find a good one mine had a happy hour ever 3 days it just came from the sandbed and went around the tank ya dont have to feed it if you got a good amount of sand

Back