Hosting

Mine don't seem to be hosting anything at all at the moment. This is a response I got from my LFS...and, since I can't really trust anything they say, thought I'd run the statement by my trusty forum friends.....

I am curious to why you are interested in the hairy mushrooms. Ricordea are much more colorful and sought after and I can get individual speicmens of that. I know of some green ones that I could have by saturday. Like I said that hairy mushroom piece is gigantic. The mushrooms themselves feature 4 to 6 inch discs. Let me know if ricordea would suite you instead because would be much easier on both our ends I think, and the overall color and features of the specimens will be much more attractive. Hairy mushrooms have potent stings, grow quickly, and are quite large. They could take your whole tank over and kill much of your other coral. Ricordea venom is not as toxic and growth rates are much slower, but you will have a more premium and beautiful coral that won't pose as much of a threat. Let me know.

He's right -- ricordeas are much prettier. But he forgot to mention -- they are also ten times the price of hairy mushrooms!!!

In my experience, clowns will be more likely to host hairy mushrooms than ricordeas.

I have a tank full of only ricordeas and I'll tell you this -- I would not want my clowns to host them! They would probably harm them from being too rough, and ricordeas are much more delicate than hairy mushrooms. Oh and much more expensive! I'd be PISSED if my clowns killed my ricordeas.

Hairy mushrooms aren't going to take over your whole tank any more than any other type of mushroom is.

If you don't mind spending the cash on ricordeas, go for it -- they are my absolute favorite coral (which is why I have a whole tank dedicated just to them). But if you're looking for something that will be suitable for your clowns, I think the hairy mushroom beats the ricordea in that respect.

My one clown tries to host my flame scallop sometimes, but then it just closes up and scares the crap out of the clown lol.

Hopefully the scallop never catches him :o

Craigs List rocks! I put an ad out asking if anyone had any hairy mushrooms to offload, and got 4 responses in 45 minutes. I like the idea of getting 3 of the beautiful green ones for only $15!

$15 is a steal for those around here.
So when you gonna post pics of em? :D

As soon as I get 'em! They're up in Denver, about 70ish miles from me. Half of my current setup came from Denver. I'm heading up there this weekend to pick up a long spine urchin also....may as well make a trip outta it! *L*

Here's a shot the seller sent me...

He's selling me three of them, approximately 4" in diameter each.

398_hairygreenmushroomsocal57che.jpg

One of my tank raised clowns hosts in my hairy mushrooms. (come on, no one outside this hobby would have any idea what I just wrote).

In fact, my clown prefers the mushroom to the BTA I got for him. As ltljoker said, hairy mushrooms grow fast. I love mine.

Wooo Hoooo!!

:bounce:

Coral BONANZA! Picked up my hairy mushrooms today from a CL seller. Turns out he's breaking down a fabulous 300 gallon established reef. Gave me some FANTASTIC coral deals! Here's what I got (they're still a little closed up from the transport):

2 heads of frogspawn with 3 baby heads just sprouting. When opened up, each large head is about 3"
IMG_1889.jpg

Large green polyps with 4 large polyps and 4 new baby ones

IMG_1891.jpg

A small rock covered in small fire and ice mushrooms. I counted 17 at least.

IMG_1895.jpg

Several heads of neon green candy canes

IMG_1900.jpg

A green toadstool...I really hope he opens up a little more so I can see what he looks like in my tank.

IMG_1901.jpg

And finally, a 15lb rock with some large kenya trees and a couple of hitch hiker aptasias that I'll erradicate first thing tomorrow morning.

IMG_1902.jpg

All for SIXTY DOLLARS!!

:^::^::^::^::^:

Back