Hosting

Deano

Reefing newb
image.jpg
image.jpg
At last my clowns have hosted !!!

if you guys want a way to get your clowns to host try this- 5 gal bucket fill with tank water. very small power head or bubble stone. just want to move the water a bit not blast everything around. put your anemone in bucket first and let settle to bottom then add clowns. leave them alone for the day. wild clowns host 99% of the time but farmed clown are not raised with anemones. sometimes they never get it. when they are in close proximity like that they figure it out real quick and they stay in it when you put them all back in the tank . you want a container thats big enough for them to rest without going into the anemone if they want to but that they can't get to far away from it. i have tried it like this 3-4 times with farm raised clowns and moderate size anemone and it worked every time. i always had compatible fish and anemones though.

if you guys want a way to get your clowns to host try this- 5 gal bucket fill with tank water. very small power head or bubble stone. just want to move the water a bit not blast everything around. put your anemone in bucket first and let settle to bottom then add clowns. leave them alone for the day. wild clowns host 99% of the time but farmed clown are not raised with anemones. sometimes they never get it. when they are in close proximity like that they figure it out real quick and they stay in it when you put them all back in the tank . you want a container thats big enough for them to rest without going into the anemone if they want to but that they can't get to far away from it. i have tried it like this 3-4 times with farm raised clowns and moderate size anemone and it worked every time. i always had compatible fish and anemones though.
Please do not pull your nem out of your tank to try to make a clown host it. This is way to much stress on all the creatures. Leave the nem alone. Once you put them back in your dt, it will stress the nem out more when it too looks for its perfect spot to be with clowns constantly attacking it.

every time i did this it was with a new pairing and they were new purchases. hadn't been put in the tank yet. except once. the anemone wouldn't settle. once i got him hosting with the clowns and placed him he never moved again. he is still there now and 3 times the size[heteractis crispa and a pair of clarkii]. most anemone that normally host clowns do better with clowns according to what i have read.

every time i did this it was with a new pairing and they were new purchases. hadn't been put in the tank yet. except once. the anemone wouldn't settle. once i got him hosting with the clowns and placed him he never moved again. he is still there now and 3 times the size[heteractis crispa and a pair of clarkii]. most anemone that normally host clowns do better with clowns according to what i have read.
They do better once established in your system. If an nem is moving, key sign to it being stressed. Clowns can love nems and other corals to death. A new nem in the system is a for sure thing. It is man's idea in nature to have that clown host the nem, let it happen and do not force it. Now days most clowns are tank raised, big chance they will host. Let the nem settle in the tank first and do not pull it out unless you are getting rid of the nem.

i see your point however we do this hobby for enjoyment. if i want a anemone and clowns, its to watch their social interaction. i want my tank to do well. this leads me to take better care of it which is better for the well being of the tank. the whole act of raising or capturing these creatures for the sake of entertainment is stressful. if the creatures in the tank and the tank are not reacting the way they should then that is stressful for the owner and leads to neglect or death or total dismantal for a lot of people. this leads to the death of a lot of creatures for nothing. so yes it may cause some stress at the beginning but overall i think less. i treat my tank and the animals in it the best that i know and i think my tank is healthy and that my animals are as happy and stressfree as i can make them. if we were as humane as you want us to be then none of us would have tanks including you

Last edited:
Inhumane? I never once said anything on this subject more along the lines of stressing everything out and not letting it happen on its own. Forcing things in this hobby is what leads to folks quitting. Why would you have had to do this 3 to 4 times (rhetorical)? The nem will move I promise you whether hosted or not. Stress of a newly hosted clown in a new environment is way to much stress. My male clown seen the nem and took to it in 2 weeks, the female took a very long time of upwards of 3 months. Point matter, it was not forced and I have some generic mated pair of trues in the tank.
Another point, if the clowns have never had a nem before, it takes time from them to build up the nem without being killed by the nem itself. It is very hard to believe that in 24 hours in a bucket that you have all this magic happen and a happy nem and clown in your dt.

the reson i have done it 4 times is because i have had 2 tank wipeouts, one due to heat and one due to town water [both problems being rectified], and once because i made a purchase for someone else and they were late picking them up. the treo i have now i have had for about 4 years. a leathery anemone and a pair of clarki that spawn monthly. the nem is now about the size of a dinner plate. was the size of a cigarette pack and badly bleached and the fish were a little longer then an inch when i bought them. none of them being in good shape store was going under and i figured they had a chance with me verses getting flushed.

Back