How big are your snails

Navarchus

Almost smarter than a pig
I've been meaning to ask the forum this for a while. How big are your snails? I threw some turbo snails in my tank a year ago. They were cute little snails; about as big as my thumbnail. Now, there is one giant snail about the size of my fist roaming my tank after dark. The thing is huge! Is this normal growth?

Yeah that's normal! Can you see the color change on its shell? My snails that have grown HUGE all have an obvious line on their shell from when I put them in the tank. Water quality, or food or something.

I have several that are about the size of a golf ball. They were half that size two years ago. I dislike them because they are always knocking over my plugs and smaller rocks. I wonder if I could cook them in some butter sauce?

Thanks guys. I didn't put any large snail in my tank. they were all cute little baby ones. Now, only one year later, its as big as my fist. I just thought that growth was too fast to be normal. I was thinking that this big guy hitchhiked in on some live rock.

Those big turbos are the only ones I think are worth their salt cleaning-wise. Everything else just seems to get predated or isn't as effective. Snails as a cleaning crew are overrated in my book...

Heres one for ya.
D-9.jpg

:D

I dont have those big ones any more.I got tired of them knocking my corals over.
But the one in the pic,I had for about 2 years I guess.Of course it was already decent sized when I got him.

I bought some snails when I first started my main tank. They where all suppose to be just little ones well they all died except for one. He ended up being a Mexican turbo and is huge. I dont have a good pic of him but he is about the same size as yotes and man can that guy move. I will be looking at the tank turn to see something on tv the wife want me to see turn back and he is across the tank. I guess hes shell is about the same size as my frilly mushroom heads. Hes a big one I want to get him some friends to play with soon.

My spiny urchin knocked everything over, my huge honking snail has not knocked anything over yet. I'm prepared for the worst with him though.

haha i have a fighting conch that has a shell about 2.5 inches long. and when hes out of his shell hes HUGE. but i know they get really big.

he sifts sand well too
and not to mention. a hermit crab tried to attack it. i felt bad for the hermit, it probibly scared him half to death. hat snail jumped about 4 inches away. it was crazy to watch. i had never seen such a thing.

Back