how can i keep my ph where i want it?

Cheeser

I Love Reefer
my ph is usually at about 7.8-8.0 when i test in the evening
when i test in the morning its usually lower like 7.5-7.8

ive been using the seachem marine buffer and as long as i use it everyday the ph will stay above 8.0 but ill try to slowly ween off that stuff by dosing everyother day...then every 3 or 4 days....
but it seems like as soon as i stop using it the ph goes down again?
should i be using something else instead of a buffer?

i have a 41/2 inch sandbed in my fuge...
i also have my fuge light on when my dt light is off.
i thought thatd help balance my ph...
can anyone give me any advice?

That is totally normal for the pH. When the algae is using up the CO2 produced by the fish and corals, the pH will rise. However, when the lights are off the CO2 accumulates in the water column, lowering the pH.

That is why you always want to test your pH around the same of day, and preferably towards the end of your cycle.

So you should stop using the buffer :)

+1 fish If you had a fuge, you can run them opposite the DT lights, so your PH always stays the same, since there will always be active algae.

i do run the lights opposite each other but i still have the problem with the ph dropping below 8.0 in the morning.

The ph swing is normal, but the ph itself is only a couple points low overall. If your room doesn't have a lot of oxygen or air circulation, try opening a window, and testing later to see if it has any effect. You might want to look into dosing kalkwasser with your top off water or doing 2 part.

Be aware, however, that kalk or 2 part is a another ball game; don't do it without test kits, and without FULLY doing your research. If you don't have a lot of corals it's probably not necessary, if you're keeping up with your water changes as you should be.

See if opening a window makes any difference. Then it might be a matter of trapped C02. Do you have any lids/glass tops over your tank?

Otherwise, if it's a chronic issue then you might as well learn about dosing if you're going to keep corals. You'll need magnesium, alkalinity and calcium test kits. Read about kalk, and don't go nuts. A low, stable ph is better than swinging it around when you accidently overdose your tank.

ok ill try opening a window. i dont have any glass top or anything. i got a nice ripple on the surface of the water.

ill look into kalk i guess...i ve never messed with that stuff.
what about sealab tablets? anyone have any experience with those?

Back