How do I clean algae infested Live Rock?

Brianw1970

Reefing newb
Many thanks tothe Living Reefs members who have identified an algae problem in my DT, it bryopsis,a type of hair algae. It was suggested that I remove the LR and clean it then put in my sump w/o light for a few weeks. I can do this because all the rock is at the top of the display. Below is a picture of what it looks like now. I'll post some to show my progress so hopefully other's can learn from my mistakes.

How would you recommend I clean the LR after I remove it?

IMG_5099.jpg

With a NEW toothbrush in a bucket of salt water. I have done it tons of times. The reason I say new toothbrush is because I dont know if there are any chemicals in the toothpaste that might be harmful to the tank. Like flouride or the mint flavoring or what have you. And what is a couple bucks in prevention

Its hard to scrub rocks when you have nice montiporas on them. My advice is to find some way to reduce your phosphates and nitrates. (If you are not useing RO/DI, it may be time to start. If you are using flake food, it may be time to stop. You could also add some chaeto to your sump to help reduce these.)

After you address the phosphate/nitrate issue, I would pluck the algae by hand. Try to get as much of it as you can. Then reduce the length of your lighting cycle for a few weeks. Depriving your algae of nutrients and light is a sure-fire way to kill it off.

Back