How do I get the most from my skimmer?

quality_reefer

It's good stuff...
Hi everyone, I just bought my first skimmer and I've had it running for a little over 24 hours. All I have noticed it doing is just bringing water into the waste cup. The water is a bit discolored so I think it's doing something but it's nothing near what I've seen pictures to be. The directions told me to turn the dial down if it's too watery but then I don't see anything being collected within the cup. I guess I just can't find that happy medium.

Any tips out there? I also read that it takes about a week to break in the skimmer before it starts to really collect gunk.

Not a pro at this by any means, but i found with mine the lower the water level going into the cup produced a drier skim. The bubbles in the nozzle of the cup will build up with time and overflow, giving you that oh sweet smelling gunk. Less watery as well.

You are right. It usually takes a new skimmer a week or two to "break in". During that time, it will appear to just collect water. I'd turn it down so it doesn't fill the cup, let it run for a week, then adjust it. If you are using a tap water conditioner additive, that can also cause skimmers to pull water.

Back