how do i prime the skimmer?

What is the 2nd clear airline attached to at the pump? There should only be 1 attached to the venturi on the pump. Forget about blocking the clear lines or silencer. The only thing the clear line does is supply air to the pump so it can create the bubbles. If anything, you would have to blow into the line connected to the venturi if the pump didn't start right up when you plug it in.
The blue line is just to suck the air out and start the siphon. The shut off that you are missing to supposed to be there to close off the blue line so the siphon won't be broken.

that is very confusing to see that pic. i dont know how you can ever have a siphon with that hole being there for the blue tube. can you twist the nut to close?

have you tried getting in touch with octopus? i had trouble with mine and it took them a couple days to get back to me but they did.

it is set up right with the blue one in the clear one. you need the water to cover your pump though........ once there is enough water covering the pump then unplug and plug back in a few times. Check to see if its working. unplug and plug back in, unplug and plug back in; you may have to do this quickly. check to see if its syphoning. make sure the syphon end in your tank is able to suck enough water through the overflow if you have one. plug in unplug plug in unplug plug in unplug. check it out!

Both clear lines attach to the pump the same way. One just goes to the blue line and 1 to the silencer.

I finally got it working today after plugging/unplugging it for awhile. I found out that if I push my overflow down a bit, it siphons better and water covers the pump, but I'm getting huge bubbles in the output. Will that eventually calm down? The overflow is now completely submerged...should I try to shorten the intake?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help!

Both clear lines attach to the pump the same way. One just goes to the blue line and 1 to the silencer.

I finally got it working today after plugging/unplugging it for awhile. I found out that if I push my overflow down a bit, it siphons better and water covers the pump, but I'm getting huge bubbles in the output. Will that eventually calm down? The overflow is now completely submerged...should I try to shorten the intake?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help!

yeah you can try shortening the intake/overflow, i keep the top of mine right below the water line. I have had mine for a couple weeks or so and i still get a lot of bubbles, but ive heard it can take up to a month for the "break in period". After that the bubbles are supposed to calm down. I have the output going into a breeder box with chaeto in it and the chaeto catches almost all of the bubbles!

PS: great job on the plug in/unplugging! lol

congratulations now have a beer.

i hacked off a few inches of the input pipe to help get my skimmer to the surface. although now you have it running i doubt you want to take down for anything like that.

it will break in after a while. keep adjusting the cup level until your happy. mine pulled pretty wet for a long time.

Thanks! I need a beer! Yeah, I'm scared to unplug it now! My luck, the power will go out tomorrow.

I put a sponge over the output to lessen the flow and hopefully save me some evaporation. It doesn't look good, but it works. The skimmate is already looking yellowish (so I'm not worried anymore)...hopefully it will get darker over time.

I'll see how it goes...might end up cutting off an inch or 2 from the intake before its over.

Thanks! I need a beer! Yeah, I'm scared to unplug it now! My luck, the power will go out tomorrow.

I put a sponge over the output to lessen the flow and hopefully save me some evaporation. It doesn't look good, but it works. The skimmate is already looking yellowish (so I'm not worried anymore)...hopefully it will get darker over time.

I'll see how it goes...might end up cutting off an inch or 2 from the intake before its over.

seeeeeee, i knew you could do it! :bounce:

Back