How do you know when API test kits expire?

SaltwaterNoob17

Reefing newb
I think some of my API test kits have expired, and was wondering how to verify this. I see a LOT number near the top of the bottles. Is that the expiration date?

Only a year? I inherited mine from the past owner, but mine have to be over a year old... Looks like I'll be doing some shopping soon.

I just found this through my "Google" research:

The LOT number at the top of API test kit bottles are the date of manufacture. The API test kits typically expire 3 to 4 years after the date of manufacture depending on the type of test kit. These were the expiration periods that I found from API:

Ammonia Test Solution # 1 - 3 Years
Ammonia Test Solution # 2 - 3 Years
High Range pH Indicator Solution - 3 Years
Nitrate Test Solution # 1 - 3 Years
Nitrate Test Solution # 2 - 3 years
GH Test Solution - 3 Years
Calcium Test Solution #1 - 3 Years
Calcium Test Solution #2 - 3 Years
Phosphate Test Solution #1 - 3 Years
Phosphate Test Solution #2 - 3 Years
Copper Test Solution - 3 Years
KH Test Solution - 4 Years
Nitrite Test Solution - 4 Years

Interesting, i had no idea. Did you find anyways to figure out when the lots were manufactured to see how long your tests have been around?

The Lot number is printed at the top of each of the test kit bottles. The last four digits are the month and year. For example: If the Lot number ended in 0410, then the test kit was manufactured in April of 2010 and is good (supposedly) for 3 to 4 years.

It turns out two of my kits are expired according to these parameters, so I'll guess I'll still be shopping for some new test kits.

Back