How far from the wall

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
Does your tank need to be if you're going to put an overflow box on it? I just started filling my 55 gallon and forgot I was going to put an overflow on it, eek.

C

I have the CPR CS90 overflow. It was a bit more pricey than some but I like the fact it has the connection to hook up a lifter pump to keep the air from accumulating in the syphon area. You also use it to start the thing.

Brian

i got an Eshops one and its one of those thats made to not break siphon if the power goes out or if youre doing a water change and the waterline drops too far. My overflow is like 1.5-2 inches thick behind the tank. I got it off of the Dr's website... check the off topic though, xxknuckleheadxx started his own retail business and might be able to get you one a little cheaper.

I would recommend one like mine to anyone

I have the CPR CS90 overflow. It was a bit more pricey than some but I like the fact it has the connection to hook up a lifter pump to keep the air from accumulating in the syphon area. You also use it to start the thing.

Brian

That's the same set up I use. I have my tank 5 inches from the back wall.

Better measure! I have only only 3.25" off my 55 to the wall. I bought the eshoppes one here, $37, and $6 reg. shipping. I just broke mine and had to order another. The PF 300 only has one bulkhead in it, not two like in the picture.

Reef Aquarium Filtration: Eshopps Overflow Boxes

Forgot to say, the overflow box is excellent, nice and clean looking and needs only 3" off the wall.

And if you overtighten the drain fitting in it you will crack the housing and the fitting will pull out of itself, like I did. YOu know,they could tell you how to install the fitting, I tightened mine with a big channel lock plier and put a stress crack in the fitting in no time, but that's because I'm not used to working with plastic. Everyone says you can't use metal in the tank at all, does that go for brass too? I'd like to put a brass fitting on this thing and it wouldn't spill a drop. The new fitting says hand tighten and then 1/4 turn with pliers, well I definately did more than that!

Last edited:
Actually, here's a picture of it from the other post I have on my sump never ending project.

DSC_0069_00.jpg

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, you definitely do not want any brass near your tank.

Metals can leach out into water over time. Some are not harmful in small doses, others are.

I don;t know, I was posing the question. Yo can bet as it rusts it is leaching something into the water. I just don't know what. We use brass in plumbing a lot on boats and stuff, but costs a lot. Stainless is the way to go, if you can get what you need. I have a habit of breaking plastic cuase I'm a gorilla when it comes to that stuff.

And if you overtighten the drain fitting in it you will crack the housing and the fitting will pull out of itself, like I did.

Well yeah, it's acrylic, plus it doesn't need to be that tight, the thing works on gravity so there is not much pressure at all. Hand tight is sufficient.

I have that same overflow box, works great, doesn't accumulate bubbles as long as you have the flow right correct (box close enough to surface of water). Mine was at first until I figured out it wasn't tuned correctly. Here's my sump if you want to check it out:
https://www.livingreefs.com/my-10-gallon-sump-55-gallon-aquarium-t21492p3.html

As far as space behind the aquarium, I have about 7 inches which is more than enough room for the overflow and it leaves me plenty of room to reach behind and stuff, looks fine too. Look at the pics.

I do not think stainless steel would be ok. Stainless ONLY means it will Stain Less, it will still rust just takes alot longer. The main difference in stainless steel and steel is the higher Nickle content in stainless. Now im not sure about something made of solid nickle it may be ok to use but where would you find it and who could afford it.

And....if you cant fit the overflow behind the tank have you thought about hanging it on the side. Thats what I did so I could put my tank against the wall.

And....if you cant fit the overflow behind the tank have you thought about hanging it on the side. Thats what I did so I could put my tank against the wall.

Unless he has a hood in which case that wouldn't work, plus I think that is much more unsightly then just spacing the tank from the wall a little.

I really don't know why your so worried about it leaking, if you have a gasket it won't, it needs to be just past finger tight, there is very little pressure on the fitting since it is done by gravity and the only pressure from gravity in the little amount of water that is flowing through there at a time.

Last edited:
I have a CPR 90 on my tank and I AM uber paranoid about floods, (I live on the 4th floor) I have a prefilter on my aqua lifter pump and I clean that thing like every week to make sure its working fine. I would put a dorso? mod on it, mine came with it but I have a friend that has one that has not been modded and its VERY LOUD! I don't have the prefilter in this pic was the leak down test but they are only like $3 and I replace mine about every other month and clean it between.
DSCN0291.jpg

prefilter A must!! IMO
Aqua Lifter Suction Pre-Filter - AquaCave

Back