How many cleaners is enough?

iDad

Reefing newb
I have a 20 long aquarium, not long ago I battled a little algae problem and it got me to thinking. I knew I had to get more cleaners, at least, I feel like I do. This is what I have

10 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs
8 Turbo Snails
2 Peppermint Shrimp..actually, I think I only have one now, I can't find the other one.

and this is what I was thinking about ordering from reefs2go, where I got the hermit crabs from, they have a buy one get one free sale going on.

2 Scarlet Leg Hermit Crab
5 Mexican Red Leg Hermit Crab
7 more Blue Leg Hermit Crab
4 Saltwater White Leg Hermit Crab
1 White Legged Hermit Crab
1 Black Hermit Crab
1 Red Hermit Crab
6 Saltwater Peppermint Shrimp
and an order of 100 empty shells

What do you think of the order? I was thinking of getting two small fire shrimp, and 2 boxing shrimp or pistol shrimp. They also have a sale for $89 with the following:

2 Cleaner Shrimp
6 Peppermint Shrimp
10 Marine Ghost Shrimp
1 Sexy Shrimp
1 Green Pistol Shrimp
1 Camel Shrimp

So which one do you guys think would be the better deal and amount?

Oh, and how are the sexy shrimp, I was thinking of getting one. I dont want to overload my tank, all I have is my little clown fish, so if you think this is too much please let me know and help me with the amount that I should get.

Please give me some insight, Thanks

Last edited:
Sexy shrimp do better in groups. If you really like them I'd get like six or seven.

I'd also skip the pistol. Mine has killed every snail and crab (aside from my pom pom) that I've put in the tank.

I'd also add some nass snails to your list.. and maybe halve the hermits you want to add.

Cerith snails and astrea snails along with the nassarius are great too. They graze different areas. I have evicted all hermits from my display tank. lol

Hey Terry,
Check out Reefcleaners.org or give John a call. Snsils are going to bey the mainstay to keeping a clean tank and theres a wide variety for all your cleaning needs. Lots of people stay away from the hermits because most will hunt snails eventually, be it for food, shells or fun. I like them, though because they add lots of life scurrying about.

You could also add a brittle OR serpent star and a cleaner shrimp, both of which are grrat. As far as your other shrimps, I have no experience, so I can't say much.

I wouldn't care if I paid twice as much for a CUC from reefcleaners, John is a hell of a guy and always gives extras. Customer service is almost non existent nowadays. He will also tailor crews for you if you don't want his package.

Just ordered from him, actually. I would definitely recommend him. There were a couple problems with my shipment, but both were USPS, not him

Back