HOw many trust their LPS?

mach1ray

Reefing newb
For years I've relied on my local pet store (only sells aquarium supplies and live stock) and most of the time wondered if they really cared or knew what they were talking about. Their advise usually did not help and I found myself experimenting only to lose live stock in the process.

It is until recently that I've started venturing into cyberworld and found more useful info and a bunch of knowledgeable people willing to help. For example, I showed my LPS a rock with red turf algae and they did not know what it was. They "suggested" it was red hair algae. I told them it is virtually impossible to brush off. They came back with "maybe a new strain of algae" hence my title to my 2nd post.

What is your take on this? Just curious.

It really depends on the store - I have a few LFSs (Local Fish Stores) that are decent, but I always do my homework rather than asking their advice.

On the other hand, I trust most of my LPS (Large Polyp Stony corals) just fine ;)

You are right to experiment with your stores, just remember, they are in it to make money. I've learned this the hard way with 3 tank crashes, and hundreds of dollars in corals, just to find out from living reef members, my lights aren't right!

This is the best site to ask your questions. Then if you see something you like or want research first then go to the LFS to see if they can get it. I'm now on my fourth LFS, and down to 2 to trust to go to. 1 can get the Fish, 2 can get the corals. But I remember their bottom line is the dollar.

There are 3 LFSs near me.

Store 1 is where I bought most of my equipment at. I thought they looked good and the employees seemed to know what they were doing. Lord knows they ripped me off on the tank and stand! I found out later that most of the "kids" that were running the place were pot heads and could care less about they livestock. They had running bets on how much they could over charge folks and how long a fish would live. Disgusting people.

To the owner's credit, he moved his store a while back and fired ALL of his staff. I did go by the new place and in short, it is dirty, nasty, limited livestock and the new people running it know next to nothing about the hobby.

Store 2 is THE most disgustingly dirty place in the world. Its bare floors, makeshift shelving and beyond disorganized. HOWEVER..... the guy that owns it is THE guy in the area when it comes to fish knowledge. If you have a fish problem, he knows the answer! He deals mostly in fresh water stuff and sells mainly to landscapers, but he can get nearly anything you might want, but only if he approves of it. I got my One Spot FoxFace from him.

Store number 3 is by far the most professional. Yes, they have pretty good mark ups of stuff, but they have a great selection of corals and standard live stock. Everyone there is very knowledgeable and the owner's wife is a former chemist for the Atlanta aquarium. They make sure they know your system before they suggest anything or try to sell you anything. They will sell you any supply you like, but they are pretty careful with the fish. They are a professional group who do high end installations and on site maintenance. I fully trust these guys.

thanks for the correction Fishy. I'll get the acronyms down one of these days. So far most are hitting on my own sentiments about it all being a business and your loss means more gains for them. I have 3 local shops by me, one is strictly a fish hobbyist store, the other 2 are pet stores.

The fish store has different staff working there every week. Each person will give a a different answer to the same question. The owner is probably the only knowledgeable one and is a hobbyist. Problem is he is hardly ever there.

As for the pet stores, their inventory and live stock is very limted and one makes me feel like a rescuer. corals and fish just barely hanging on to life and when they hit my tank they come alive.

Last edited:
I think after 1 visit I know if they are good or not.

I always go in talking about stuff I know and when they spew out garbage I know right away.

I trust my LFS. But the reason I trust them,is because I also help them out when ever I can.

When a customer comes in and asks a question. The answer they'll get will depend on which one of us they ask.Every one of us have either had or has one or several tanks. We've all tried different things with different results.So you'll get that persons experience for the answers.

One sure way to help yourself AND your LFS person is to be armed with at least a basic knowledge of what your looking at. Key them in onto your tanks details and what you've got inside it.
It also doesn't hurt to test the persons knowledge. If they take offense,then find another store.If their knowledgeable then it all is good. But be prepared to pay a little extra at a store with a knowledgeable staff.Most good stores know that you don't usually get good staff when you pay bargain basement wages. Those stores will also have a higher overhead because they go the distance to get and keep quality livestock.

The petco by me has 2 guys that KNOW what they are doing. They have tanks themselves and will tell you not to get a fish since it isn't reef safe, etc. They do have 1 dude there who is a moron. He'll sell anything to anyone. I think it's like anything, you wouldn't go buy a car or a laptop without doing some research. I agree with Yote, have some basic knowledge so you can tell when the person you are talking to is a moron so you can call bullsh*t and walk away. OR, do like Yote does and threaten to beat them up. ;)

Well, I'm glad I wasnt kicked around too much for using the wrong acronym for my subject reference hahaha. ou all submitted some good points and the rule of thumb is do your research first and feel out your LFS rep.

I think it's like anything, you wouldn't go buy a car or a laptop without doing some research.

You would think. And some people will exhaustively research their vehicle choice, even though it's an inanimate object that stays outside and will probably only be in their lives for 4-5 years. But they'll go out and get a dog (usually a puppy) without any research whatsoever. Then a few months later, they're dumping the dog (via craigslist, at the animal shelter, or out on some back country road). The reasons are many, but all due to lack of research. It got too big, it shed too much, it had too much energy, it ate too much, it had accidents in the house, kid is allergic, didn't have enough time for it, started a new job, have to move, having a baby, etc. ad nauseum. It disgusts me that so many people have so little regard for their pets. They get them, then throw them away when they become inconvenient or not so cute. I understand that sometimes lives change. There are circumstances that are unexpected and beyond a person's control. But the VAST majority of the above listed reasons are avoidable with a little research!

And if people are willing to disregard the fuzzy little critter sitting in their laps, gazing adoringly up at them, how much more are they willing to disregard a fish that stays in their fish tank and doesn't even cuddle them. After all, it's just a fish!

Yeah. The "it's just a fish" comment was heavily laced with extreme sarcasm. I love my little fishies too!

I cannot even tell you how regularly I hear "it's just a fish".

My response has become "you're just a person" :glare:.

Usually shuts them up. Makes me look a little nuts, but gets the point across.

I too bought a car simply because I wanted the "best" so I bought a BMW 7 series. No test drive nothing. Absolutely the WORST car I ever owned. Hated every minute of ownership.

I researched as much as I could about my tank and fish. Still didn't manage to cover all the bases and hopes the LFS folks would help out. Bad choice.

I just meant, in reference to the op's query of "how much do you trust your lfs (sic)", that you should have some knowledge so you can determine for yourself if your lfs knows what they are talking about.

Back